- Wednesday’s LFC Transfer Reports: FIVE deals imminent
- Henrikh Mkhitaryan: The versatile midfielder who can give Rodgers many options
- Pepe Reina: A victim of his own success
- Part 2 of our Exclusive Interview with the Radio City Sports Team
- Simon Mignolet vs Pepe Reina: 2012/13 Video & Statistic Comparison
- Glen Johnson – The debate to sell or keep
Van Gaal linked with LFC management role
Dutchman Luis Van Gaal has been linked with a senior role at Liverpool under the new structure to be implemented by Fenway Sports Group.
The Guardian and The Times newspapers are reporting that the 60 year old former Champions League winner is being considered for the new role of “sporting director”.
The sporting director role is one of those being created to replace the former director of football role that Damien Comolli recently left.
Van Gaal’s focus would be on the footballing aspects of the role, while current managing director Ian Ayre’s role would be changed to give him more responsibility in the management side of the club.
Bloomberg report that “Managing Director Ian Ayre will get greater responsibility over negotiating player trades and contracts, a role previously done by Comolli.”
Meanwhile, Bloomberg report that Fenway Sports Management executive Billy Hogan is to become the club’s new commercial director. Hogan was influential in the record breaking deal for Warrior Sports to become the club’s new kit manufacturer.
Wondering what a ‘sporting director’ does? This article from The Guardian may be of interest.