Jurgen Klopp is expected to make several changes to his Liverpool team as the Reds look to take revenge against Man City in the Premier League.
Liverpool attempt to avenge Sunday’s League Cup final loss with a league victory over Manuel Pelligrini’s Blues at Anfield on Wednesday night.
The clash offers the Reds the perfect chance to respond instantly to a deflating loss, by claiming a welcome three points that would at least provide some positivity and a confidence boost to Klopp’s downbeat squad.
With the match little over 72 hours after the gruelling Wembley showdown, Klopp is set to freshen up his side and a number of changes to the starting XI from the cup final are likely to transpire.
The Team News
- Klopp to make numerous changes following exhausting Wembley final
- Reds boss also has injury concerns ahead of City’s arrival
- Lucas a major doubt due to muscle injury sustained in shoot-out
- Sakho to be assessed after cup final head injury but unlikely to play
- Sturridge suffered cramp at Wembley and is set to miss out on Wednesday
- Klopp could give night off to full-backs Clyne and Moreno
- Henderson would also benefit from rest with captain still struggling
- Fit again Skrtel and Lovren options to come into central defence
- Flanagan and Smith full-back alternatives to call upon for Klopp
- Allen in line to feature with ability to offer fresh legs in midfield
- Lallana in contention to start after substitute appearance on Sunday
- Origi likely to replace Sturridge up top after bright Wembley cameo
Liverpool’s XI vs. City
Klopp confirmed he will play the strongest team available against City, but did say: “It’s about who is fit enough to go into what will be a really intensive game.”
This suggests a much changed Reds XI will be seeking the best possible response at Anfield, which could see Lovren and Flanagan replace Toure and Moreno in defence.
Allen’s freshness is likely to see him enter into midfield, ideally for Henderson, while Lallana and Origi both should feature in attack in, with Milner rested and Sturridge preserved.
Five changes to the team from Sunday would see Liverpool line up like this on Wednesday night:
Klopp could introduce further fresh legs on Wednesday night however, following Sunday’s hard-fought battle.
Skrtel could resume his partnership with Lovren at centre-back, with Flanagan and Smith completing the back four.
The midfield and attack almost picks itself due to those needing rest and recovery time, but Klopp could switch the set-up into a midfield diamond and two up front, as he turned to at Wembley.
Seven changes and a system switch would see the Reds line up like so come 8pm kick-off time:
There may not be the silverware riding on the Anfield game as on Sunday, but victory over the Citizens would certainly be sweet.
Fans Also Read
Fan CommentsComments are retrospectively moderated. Some could be subject to delays before publication. They must obey the comment policy. Comments load below.
Please only discuss the article above. General chat can be made on our forums at forums.thisisanfield.com