Monday’s LFC Transfer Reports: Costa, Siqueira and Suarez latest

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Another week of transfer rumours, reports and hysteria is upon us. Thankfully we’re into the final month of the transfer window now and less than two weeks until competitive football returns…

30.09.2010, Vicente Calderon Stadion, Madrid, UEFA EL, Atletico de Madrid vs Bayer 04 Leverkusen, im Bild Atletico de Madrid's Diego Costa dejected during Europa League match. EXPA Pictures © 2010, PhotoCredit: EXPA/ Alterphotos/ Alvaro Hernandez +++++ ATTENTION - OUT OF SPAIN / ESP +++++

Diego Costa

Liverpool hope the Brazilian will tell Atletico Madrid he wants to leave them, and move to Merseyside this week. The Guardian report:

Liverpool’s attempts to get players in include a £21.8m bid for Diego Costa of Atlético Madrid and they are hopeful the Brazilian striker will this week inform the Spanish club he wants to move to Merseyside.

He is believed to have rejected offers from Fiorentina and Roma according to Spanish paper to El Confidencial.

Atletico return from their pre-season South America tour this week and Liverpool are optimistic of completing the deal, according to James Pearce of The Liverpool Echo.

Lorenzo Melgarejo

The Times report that Brendan Rodgers has abandoned a deal to sign the Paraguayan left-back from Benfica. Instead, his attentions have turned to…

Guilherme Siqueira

Another Brazilian, although with Italian citizenship, Siqueira currently plays for Spanish side Granada. He was linked with a move to Everton earlier in the window, should Leighton Baines leave the Blues.

Aly Cissokho remains a possibility too as Rodgers looks to add much-needed depth to the left-back position, especially now that Jack Robinson has joined Blackpool on a season loan.

Luis Suarez

You didn’t think we could get all the way through this without mentioning the Suarez saga did you? Andy Hunter in The Guardian confirms that the wantaway forward was the only member of the squad not to attend Steven Gerrard’s testimonial dinner on Saturday evening, while Tony Barrett writes in The Times that Arsenal are expected to come in with a third bid for Suarez.

However, Liverpool are of the belief that it would make even less sense to do business later in the window.

Meanwhile, The BBC’s David Ornstein told Radio 5Live this weekend that club sources have told him that Arsenal will not bid £50m for the striker. He said “The club [Arsenal] told me they’re working very hard, privately, on other deals. I don’t have names.” Ornstein claims that “Suarez is very angry at the people who gave him assurances he could leave if £40m clause was matched.”

Rodgers is quoted in The Liverpool Echo saying he is “extremely confident” that Luis will remain at the club.

To mark the end of the 30-year wait for a league title, the ‘Liverpool Mishmash’ poster is available to order exclusively on This Is Anfield — the history of the Reds in one image!

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Fan Comments