Former Borussia Dortmund manager Jurgen Klopp is being lined up to become Liverpool’s next boss after Brendan Rodgers was sacked.
Here Press Association Sport looks at what the German will bring to Anfield should he be appointed.
Not an essential characteristic but certainly a welcome one.
Klopp is a charismatic man not afraid to express a forthright opinion and stand up for his beliefs and having that presence can only help him in shouldering huge expectations.
With a lack of leadership on the pitch the German can at least stride into Anfield with an air of authority. It seems likely he will enjoy the Premier League‘s inevitable verbal jousting.
A two-time Bundesliga winner who also guided the club to a Champions League final, Klopp has the credible record his two predecessors were lacking.
He has experience of successfully turning Dortmund back into a serious force in Germany and that is exactly what he will be tasked with doing at Anfield.
His reputation also means he has a better chance of being able to attract a better quality of player – something fans saw as a weakness of Rodgers.
Perfected a high-tempo pressing game at Dortmund which saw players required to hunt down opponents in possession of the ball.
As a result Klopp’s teams tend to work best with fast counter-attacks.
During his best period Rodgers’ teams were good in possession and pressing the ball but in the latter stages of his reign they only seemed effective when counter-attacking.
Klopp will hope the players can make a quick transition to his style. Ultimately, he wants his side to play with energy and commitment.
“When you sit in this stadium with your eyes closed, you should sense there is a passionate team on the field below,” he said about his Dortmund side.
That will resonate with Liverpool fans, who have become almost apathetic over the last 18 months.
Uncompromising in the demands he puts on players.
On taking over at Dortmund he said: “Those who only give me 99 per cent in training will have huge problems. The team will have to work and push like it never has before.”
He quickly moved on those who could not meet his exacting standards, irrespective of their status.
Liverpool’s players can expect the same. However, he has a great affinity with those players who buy into his philosophy and many of his former stars were devastated when he left Dortmund last season.
Jurgen Klopp to Liverpool:
- Rounding up the latest news on Jurgen Klopp to Liverpool
- Jurgen Klopp: Profiling the German set to be appointed new Liverpool manager
- 10 reasons Liverpool fans would love Jurgen Klopp as manager
- Exclusive: Third time lucky for Fenway with Klopp set for the Kop
- Exclusive: Jurgen Klopp sounds out Didi Hamann over Liverpool job
- Video: Jurgen Klopp in 10 great quotes
- Video: Jurgen Klopp’s double-winning season with Dortmund in 2011/12
- Klopp’s imminent Liverpool move gets the thumbs up from Gundogan and co.
- Jurgen Klopp to Liverpool link welcomed by former players
- Jamie Carragher urges Liverpool to appoint Jurgen Klopp