There is no suggestion that Liverpool have done anything wrong since they apologised and ended their interest.
Numerous reports have always insisted that Van Dijk has his heart set on a move to Merseyside this summer, and the 26-year-old was this week left out of the Saints’ pre-season squad for a training camp in France.
This followed Southampton manager Mauricio Pellegrino explaining that the player is now training alone after the player informed the club of his desire to leave.
“The boy said that he is not available to play because he wants to leave. This is the decision,” Pellegrino explained last week.
“I had to say ‘if you don’t want to be involved because you don’t feel OK then you have to train alone until this period of time happens’.”
— Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) July 25, 2017
However, reports have since then reiterated Van Dijk’s desire to move to Liverpool and that a transfer to the Anfield club still seems very likely.
Chelsea and Manchester City are said to be interested in the centre-back, but each have already strengthened in defence this summer and if the player has his heart set on a move to Liverpool then they are unlikely to bid.