Jurgen Klopp says he expects more outgoings between now and the end of the European transfer window, with several fringe players set to depart.
The English transfer deadline was on Thursday, with Danny Ings making a last-gasp loan switch to Southampton – one that should become permanent next summer.
Supporters were left surprised that certain individuals didn’t move on, however, but players can still move abroad before the August 31 cut-off.
Simon Mignolet is one of those fully expected to leave and there have been some reports linking Loris Karius with a change of scenery, too.
The likes of Lazar Markovic and Divock Origi are others who should also be moved on, with both seemingly not impressing Klopp sufficiently in pre-season.
Markovic hasn’t played a competitive game for the Reds since May 2015, while Origi has looked a shadow of the player that shone during the Europa League run in 2015/16.
Pedro Chirivella and Sheyi Ojo are two others deemed surplus to requirements, while Dominic Solanke may be sweating about his role in the squad this season.
Solanke has been linked with a loan to Steven Gerrard’s Rangers, and clubs in Scotland and the English Football League can still sign players on loan for the rest of August.
Speaking in his pre-West Ham press conference on Friday morning, the Liverpool manager confirmed that the club’s outgoing business is not yet done, saying:
“Yes. The transfer window is only one-way closed. We cannot buy, we can only sell. So that’s the case. It’s clear that a few things will happen.”
- Simon Mignolet – Valuation: £12m – Interest: Besiktas, Barcelona
- Connor Randall – Valuation: Nominal – Interest: St Mirren
- Pedro Chirivella – Valuation: £3.5m – Interest: Celtic
- Marko Grujic – Valuation: £10m+ – Interest: Lazio, AC Milan, Atalanta
- Lazar Markovic – Valuation: £7m – Interest: Olympiakos, Anderlecht, Leganes
- Sheyi Ojo – Valuation: £15m – Interest: Middlesbrough, West Brom
- Divock Origi – Valuation: £27m – Interest: Valencia, Watford
- Dominic Solanke – Valuation: Loan – Interest: Rangers
Klopp is clearly looking to fine-tune what is now a very large squad, having used 38 players in total in pre-season.
While squad depth is vital, particularly if the Reds are to thrive across four different competition, there is room for trimming down the squad.
Expect more exits in the next three weeks, most notably Mignolet, Markovic and Origi.
Players who won’t be leaving include the young trio of Nathaniel Phillips, Curtis Jones and Rafa Camacho, who impressed in pre-season.