Liverpool have their attentions split threefold this summer: all the international action coming up, transfers and recruitment and what on earth we’re doing in pre-season come July.
Loan plan in place for starlet
Liverpool have been widely linked with young Ghanaian star Abdul Fatawu Issahaku and, despite local reports saying a move is not on the agenda, different reports say otherwise.
The latest expectation is that he could be signed and then immediately loaned to Portuguese side Sporting CP, who will benefit from his talents and aid his development until he qualifies for a work permit under the new rules in England.
The 17-year-old has been named in the full Ghana squad for upcoming games and he was the Player of the Tournament at the U20 AFCON.
One for the future, but a deal for now.
No United double-header this summer
You may recall that earlier in the year it came to light that the Reds were set to face Man United twice this summer, home and away as pre-season preparations.
That would ensure no unnecessary travel, but still a couple of competitive games and the chance to get fans in at Anfield ahead of the new season.
Those plans are gone now – the protests at Old Trafford which saw the Premier League match postponed has both clubs feeling it would be a mistake to force the fixture on again this summer.
The Reds will have a training camp overseas, but will now have to find alternative options for friendly fixtures for Jurgen Klopp‘s squad.
Just over a week until the tournament starts! Here’s all the latest regarding the Reds.
- All squads have now been confirmed, pending any very late injuries, and Liverpool have eight players at Euro 2020
- Andy Robbo says he’s gutted Virgil didn’t make it back for the Euros – but he’s just glad he’ll be back to full fitness for Liverpool next term
- And Southgate has blamed the media over England’s squad saga around Trent’s selection
Quickfire LFC news
- Trent has been nominated in the PFA YPOTY category again – he won it in 2020 so is looking for a double
- Former Reds skipper Steven Gerrard is a surprise name in the frame for the Everton job after they saw Carlo Ancelotti swan off into the Madrid sunset having left them 10th
- Liverpool must move fast for Rodrigo de Paul or risk losing out on the race for a player they’re probably not all that keen on anyway, with Milan and Atletico keen
- And the Reds are still linked with Sporting’s Pote, but they now want to give him a new contract instead of selling him
Around the Prem
- Spurs have offered Conte the same salary as Mourinho and are desperately hoping they don’t get the same outcome
- Former Wolves boss Nuno is favourite to take over at Palace after realising he can get the same money for loads less expectation
- Barcelona and Man United are fighting it out for Jules Kounde of Sevilla – stay in Spain mate, it’s lovely there
- And Thomas Tuchel will be “given £200m to spend this summer”, although it’s not immediately clear if that’s ‘on transfers’ or, like, gift vouchers for B&Q and Ann Summers and stuff
Flashback news of the day
(10 games, in case you were wondering…)
Tweet of the day
??????? ????? ?
— Liverpool FC (@LFC) June 2, 2021
Worth watching tonight
England to win Euro 2020 with a friendly victory over Austria. That’s how it works, right?