Nuri Sahin endured a miserable loan spell with Liverpool in 2012, and Jurgen Klopp previously discussed the midfielder’s misuse by Brendan Rodgers.
After failing to establish himself with Real Madrid after a £7.5 million move from Borussia Dortmund in 2011, Sahin embarked on an ill-fated loan to Liverpool for the 2012/13 season – with the Reds fighting off Arsenal to acquire the classy midfielder.
Though Rodgers described him as a “great technician” before sealing the move, Sahin was regularly used out of position by the Ulsterman.
Sahin returned to Madrid after just five months on Merseyside, having made 12 appearances in all competitions, scoring three goals.
The Turkish international condemned his spell at Anfield, saying “thank God I have left Brendan Rodgers,” before rejoining Klopp at Dortmund on loan in 2013.
Fully appreciative of his talents, Klopp told BBC Sport that “Nuri’s a brilliant player.”
“It was the wrong position [for Sahin to play],” he said.
“If you are a No. 8 or 6 and you have to as a No. 9 or 10 – it’s not possible.
“For some guys of course it’s possible, but Nuri’s a brilliant player – not nine-and-a-half and not 10 – and I don’t know why Brendan Rodgers would do this.”
Sahin is now a mainstay at Dortmund after sealing a permanent move before the 2013/14 season, playing 31 of his 34 Bundesliga appearances in that campaign in his natural position.
Fenway Sports Group will be hoping Klopp can identify the talent at his disposal at Liverpool, where Rodgers regularly failed during his time as manager.
Jurgen Klopp to Liverpool:
- “Talks advance” with “romantic Anglophile” — Wednesday’s papers as Jurgen Klopp moves closer to Liverpool move
- Jurgen Klopp: Profiling the German set to be appointed new Liverpool manager
- 10 reasons Liverpool fans would love Jurgen Klopp as manager
- Exclusive: Third time lucky for Fenway with Klopp set for the Kop
- Exclusive: Jurgen Klopp sounds out Didi Hamann over Liverpool job
- Video: Jurgen Klopp in 10 great quotes
- Video: Jurgen Klopp’s double-winning season with Dortmund in 2011/12
- Video: Jurgen Klopp on his exciting footballing philosophy
- Klopp’s imminent Liverpool move gets the thumbs up from Gundogan and co.
- Jurgen Klopp to Liverpool link welcomed by former players
- Jamie Carragher urges Liverpool to appoint Jurgen Klopp