Reds unable to sign Swansea players

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins revealed on Friday that a “player protection” clause had been agreed between Liverpool and Swansea as part of the compensation package for Brendan Rodgers.

Therefore, Liverpool will be unable to sign any players from the Welsh side for the next 12 months.

Jenkins told TalkSport “We have got some protection on Brendan coming back for our players in the initial period, which I think is the right thing.”

“He has got a timescale to assess things there and that is going to take him while so I’ve got no worries there. We have got a 12 month respite.”

A Swansea City FC statement read:

Swansea City can confirm that Liverpool will not be allowed to make transfer bids for any players at the Liberty Stadium for the next 12 months.

“The clause was included in the compensation agreement finalised last night between the two clubs following the departure of manager Brendan Rodgers from the Liberty Stadium to Anfield.”

Jenkins, who has acted admirably throughout the process, expressed his obvious disappointment at losing Rodgers:

“We are obviously very, very disappointed that we lost Brendan but things move on,” Jenkins said.

“I think that naturally he has got massive belief in his ability and he felt that if he was the right candidate he would go forward.

“Obviously my only loyalty is to my football club and when we had Brendan working with us we wanted him for some years to come but the reality is that everyone has ambition and sometimes that ambition has to be realised.”

He added that the conduct of Liverpool was no problem to him and that “We [Swansea and Liverpool] have got a good relationship, we have dealt with it in the right way with Brendan and Liverpool.”

Fan Comments