Tuesday’s LFC Transfer Rumours: One out, two targets missed?

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

German midfielder Lewis Holtby has put an end to speculation over his future after reports linking him with a January transfer window move to Liverpool and other Premier League clubs.

Holtby, who has an English father and was raised an Everton fan, has attracted the attention of several English clubs after good performances for Bundesliga side Schalke this season.

But the 22-year-old insists he is fully commited to Schalke, who face Arsenal in the Champions League tonight (Tuesday, 7.45pm).

He said, “I think people talk about it too much in the media.

“I am blue and white, I am with Schalke and agents are there to deal with that. My focus is on the squad, the team, the club and tomorrow’s game.

“Other people can talk about it, but I just want three points for me and my team. Everything else I just put to the side.

“I play for Schalke, I don’t play for Liverpool, Arsenal or anyone else.”

Meanwhile another player laughing of speculation that he is on the verge of a move to Anfield is Wigan Athletic goalkeeper Ali Al Habsi.

With Pepe Reina currently injured and linked with a January exit from Anfield, reports suggest Brendan Rodgers is on the hunt for a successor.

Al Habsi’s words echoed those of Holtby.

“I have said it many times before but I love this football club, I love the fans and I hope to give them much more,” he told the Wigan Evening Post.

“I heard about what was said at the weekend, but that kind of thing is not of any importance to me.

“I am very, very happy at Wigan – as has been the case since I first came here.

“I am doing well, my form is coming on with every game I play, and my confidence is very high.

“All I want to do is concentrate on my job here and to help the team, because there is lots of work to be done.”

Meanwhile Lille boss Rudi Garcia has renewed his interest in re-signing Liverpool outcast Joe Cole.

Cole played the first 45 minutes of Liverpool’s League Cup exit at home to Swansea City last week, but has not impressed new boss Brendan Rodgers, who recently bemoaned the amount of money the club has invested in COle.

However, Garcia also mentioned that Cole’s wage demands of £100,000 a week are a stumbling block in the former Chelsea man returning to the French Ligue 1 side.

“Joe is not only a great person, but also a great footballer. But financially it was not possible to save him,” Garcia said.

“This can be prohibitive for the return of Joe to Lille. Sportingly and humanly, I’d love to see him back.”

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Fan Comments