Anfield stadium redevelopment latest

15 September 2014

Progress has been made in Liverpool’s project to redevelop Anfield with the club hoping to receive permission to be granted by city councillors by the end of September, according to The Telegraph.


mainstand_expansion2.jpg

Chris Bascombe reports that a recommendation to allow planning permission will be handed to Liverpool City Council on Tuesday, September 23rd.

However, he writes:

Liverpool are giving only a cautious welcome to the crucial document which backs their scheme, believing there are still several hurdles to overcome in what has been a prolonged process. There is still scope for residents and businesses to oppose the scheme, and for a legal challenge to any decision which could further delay building work.

The new-look Anfield will initially only effect the Main Stand, making it a three-tier stand with new hospitality features.

The first phase of developments will take the capacity of the ground to approximately 54,000 — an increase of around 9,000 seats.

The second phase of development will see proposed plans for a redeveloped Anfield Road stand, increasing general tickets capacity from 9,074 to 13,860.

The club hope construction work will start by the end of the year.

Earlier this summer, chairman Tom Werner said he hopes the redevelopments will be Fenway Sport Group’s footprint on the club.

“This will be our legacy at Liverpool, resolving the stadium issue,” he said in an interview with The Telegraph.

“I am as proud of protecting and preserving Fenway Park in Boston as I am the three World Series we have won and will feel exactly the same way about repeating this at Anfield. It will be the most exciting day at Anfield in 2016 when we can welcome the additional supporters to the stadium.”

What are your thoughts on the plans for the new stadium? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.

More from This Is Anfield



Fan Comments