You saw it coming – Man United have agreed a deal to sign Liverpool target Memphis Depay from PSV Eindhoven.
United announced the news on twitter on Thursday morning, saying they had reached an agreement for the player’s transfer, subject to a medical, and will be complete in June.
The 21-year-old Dutch attacker reportedly met with Liverpool officials last month, something PSV confirmed last week.
Depay was reported to be one of the main targets for Liverpool this summer, but last week the Mirror claimed that interest had cooled because Rodgers “needs all his transfer kitty to land a big-hitter up front.”
A fortnight ago several Liverpool journalists claimed the Reds were top of the queue for Depay, having held talks with Ian Ayre.
Alas, instead it’s another big target missed for Liverpool, adding to the long list of high profile players they’ve attempted to sign but ended up failing to acquire.
- Diego Costa, 2013 – With the Reds tabling a £20 million bid for the striker, he instead renewed his Atletico Madrid contract, before then joining Chelsea in 2014.
- Henrikh Mkhitaryan, 2013 – The highly rated attacking midfielder chose to join Borussia Dortmund over Liverpool, with BVB challenging in Europe and in the Bundesliga.
- Willian Borges, 2013 – The Brazilian winger moved to Chelsea after spurning the interest of “favourites” Liverpool.
- Victor Valdes, 2014 – Joined United, as David de Gea’s understudy, after being offered no assurance that he would be Liverpool’s No. 1 goalkeeper.
- Radamel Falcao, 2014 – Colombian striker joined United in a big-money loan deal after Liverpool made a summer enquiry.
- Alexis Sanchez, 2014 – Chose Arsenal over Liverpool because “Arsenal is a top club and Arsene Wenger is a top manager.”
Instead, Liverpool are now linked with another left sided attacker, Renns’ Paul-Georges Ntep.