Strap yourselves in Reds… the transfer window is only 107 hours old and not only have Liverpool secured the services of Marko Grujic and Monday saw a rather dubious claim of a £42m “hijack” of Arsenal’s supposed bid for Dortmund forward Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang. Welcome to transfer season!
It was reported yesterday that Klopp will be handed a £20m kitty for the January window, but Klopp himself said on day one he would only buy quality if it was available; the news most fans wanted to hear after the policy of buying young potential looks to have misfired so far.
However, at the complete opposite end of the spectrum, Spanish football magazine Don Balon claim that Liverpool are preparing to hijack an Arsenal move for Dortmund’s prolific striker Aubameyang. This is an odd story mainly because the Spanish digital magazine drops the bombshell in a throw away quote as part of a “Romelu Lukaku is Dortmund’s number 1 priority” feature. Don’t go getting too excited.
Whilst the arrival of Aubameyang would be a welcome addition it is highly unlikely the French Gabonese star would be willing to leave high flying Dortmund for Liverpool at this time. Expect another Suarez-style Twitter war between fans until this latest rumour is firmly quashed.
This time of the year it’s whacky races with regards to the ins and outs of clubs; only last month it was rumoured that Klopp is ready to sanction an approach by Chelsea for Christian Benteke, something which the German rebuffed immediately.
Finally, it has been reported that Serie A giants Lazio are preparing a move for out of favour centre-back – Kolo Toure; if there is any truth in this latest rumour it would surely form part of a deal for Lucas Biglia as Liverpool are also said to be preparing a January swoop for the Lazio midfielder.
Who to believe? It is genuinely mad this time of year and the only truth is that Jurgen Klopp holds all the cards as to who, if anyone, is on the move.