Video: Joe Allen admits lack of first-team football spurred Liverpool exit

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Speaking on his £13 million move to Stoke City, Joe Allen confirmed that he had left Liverpool in search of regular football.

The Wales international signed a five-year deal with the Potters on Monday, and was unveiled as Stoke’s new No. 4 later in the evening.

His move to the Britannia Stadium ends a four-year spell with the Reds, in a time that saw him amass 132 appearances for the club.

With Jurgen Klopp bringing in both Marko Grujic and Georginio Wijnaldum this summer, Allen fell further down the German’s midfield pecking order, despite his attempts to keep the 26-year-old on Merseyside.

But speaking to Stoke’s YouTube channel on making the switch on Monday, Allen said this was a key factor behind his exit.

“It’s great to finally get the pen down on paper. I was thrilled when I saw the interest from Stoke, and I’m ready to get things started now,” he said.

“It was relatively out of the blue. I saw the offer was accepted, and things moved quickly since then.

“I’m glad to get it done quickly and I can’t wait to get out now, meet the lads in Florida and get things underway.”

Allen made just 19 starts for the Reds in 2015/16, but is expected to play a more regular role under Mark Hughes at Stoke, which he continued to explain.

“For that reason it wasn’t too difficult [to leave],” he added.

“As soon as I knew there was an opportunity like this there for me it was easy to make the move.

“My ambition now is to be a regular here and help Stoke City.”

No doubt set to remain a cult figure at Anfield, Allen’s return to the Reds’ home on Boxing Day should see him receive a warm welcome from the Liverpool support.

Fan Comments