Danny Ings again ruled out for the rest of the season

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Liverpool forward Danny Ings has suffered another knee injury that will rule him out for the rest of the season.

The 24-year-old suffered a cruciate knee injury 11 months ago that saw him miss the rest of last season, and he has now suffered another injury on the other knee – this again rules him out for the rest of the campaign.

The injury occurred when Ings made a substitute appearance in last week’s League Cup clash against Tottenham, with the player seemingly hobbling at full-time.

He then missed the Under-23s’ match at Man City on Friday night due to the injury.

A scan revealed the full extent of the problem and the former Burnley forward will this week undergo surgery to repair cartilage damage.

Confirming the injury, Jurgen Klopp said: “To say we are gutted would be an understatement; he is such a great boy and has worked so hard that he deserves better luck than this.

“It is typical of Danny’s personality, on and off the pitch, that he picked up this injury to his knee when courageously trying to win the ball back for his team by making a tackle.

“But it is this same personality that means he will come back as good and as strong from this latest setback as he has done in the past.

“I’m told the likely lay off is anywhere from between seven to nine months. He is mentally strong, physically strong and will have the very best treatment and rehab possible to make sure when he returns he is ready to play for us at the level we know he is capable of.”

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - Tuesday, October 25, 2016: Liverpool's Danny Ings in action against Tottenham Hotspur during the Football League Cup 4th Round match at Anfield. (Pic by David Rawcliffe/Propaganda)

Ings had been in impressive form for the Reds’ U23s, scoring four goals in three Premier League 2 games.

But behind Roberto Firmino, Daniel Sturridge and Divock Origi, his chances in the first-team were limited despite his form and professional attitude.

Last week, after the Spurs game, Klopp joked with reporters that if they knew a way to accommodate four forwards, to let him know.

There were reports in September claiming Liverpool turned down a £20 million bid for Ings late in the transfer window and no doubt a lot of clubs would have been interested in taking him in January – especially if Liverpool had looked to loan him out.

Now, Ings faces another long spell on the sidelines and a tough recovery to gain full fitness again next summer.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Fan Comments