We round up the latest Liverpool transfer news and rumours on Friday, including further updates on Naby Keita and Virgil van Dijk, as well as interest in Philippe Coutinho.
Liverpool are set to face Hertha Berlin on Saturday with many of Jurgen Klopp‘s squad likely to be involved, but back home the transfer rumour mill continues to crank out updates.
There has been no movement—in or out of the club—since Andy Robertson joined from Hull and both Lucas and Kevin Stewart departed, but there’s no slowing the speculation surrounding a number of potential deals.
Former striker “would sell” Coutinho—for £100 million
Dean Saunders is the latest to wade in on the Coutinho-to-Barcelona storyline, suggesting the Brazilian is replaceable and that a £100m offer should be enough for the Reds to let him go.
The Mirror report the former forward talking on British radio, suggesting Real Madrid’s Isco for £30m or Premier League-based Gylfi Sigurdsson and Juan Mata—an Everton target and Manchester United player respectively—would be adequate replacements.
Quite how the Reds are supposed to open negotiations with their great rivals United, or tempt Champions League final-starter Isco away from the Spanish champions, is not made clear by Saunders.
Elsewhere, Spanish reports from Sport suggest Barcelona don’t want to pay more than €80 million (£72m) for Coutinho, but that the Reds are demanding closer to €150m (£135m) for the No. 10.
Klopp himself remains calm on the matter, suggesting he has already made his stance perfectly clear.
Reds preparing final bid for Naby Keita
Undeterred by two rejected offers so far, Liverpool are reportedly set to make a third and final bid for RB Leipzig midfielder Keita.
The Mirror reports an offer of more than £70m is to be put forward next week.
Leon Goretzka is mentioned as an alternative option, though Bayern Munich are said to be favourites to sign him, while the report claims “he 22 year old has instructed his advisors to make a concerted effort to get him out of Leipzig.”
With Emre Can having just one year left on his contract, Jordan Henderson‘s fitness yet to be truly tested and Lucas Leiva having departed the scene, the Reds urgently need to add a midfielder before the new season.
Liverpool’s interest in Naby Keita is entirely ended, according to the Mail.
A report late on Friday afternoon suggests Klopp has accepted Leipzig simply won’t sell this summer—read more on this story here.
Lanzini not likly to leave
Reports earlier in the week suggested that if Coutinho did leave, West Ham United’s Manuel Lanzini would be Klopp’s choice to replace the Brazilian.
The Evening Standard, however, report that the Hammers are “determined to keep” him after making signings to improve the side this summer, including Joe Hart and Javier Hernandez.
Fiorentina not willing to fork out for Markovic
The Mirror are reporting serious interest in Lazar Markovic from at least three clubs, but no move is yet in the offing.
Fiorentina have held talks with the winger according to the report, but the Reds’ £16m asking price is higher than they wish to go.
Watford and Leicester City are also credited with an interest from within the Premier League.
Markovic has not joined the rest of the squad on Liverpool’s pre-season tour of Germany.
Southampton planning for life without van Dijk
Contingency plans are something that Liverpool fans are all too familiar with, in transfer terms, and now Southampton are following suit.
The Reds’ public chase of Virgil van Dijk is no closer to ending, but the Mail reports Saints wanting to sign Spurs defender Kevin Wimmer if van Dijk does depart.
Chelsea and Manchester City, as well as the Reds, are said to be ready to make bids.