Liverpool reject Barcelona’s latest bid for Philippe Coutinho

9 August 2017

Liverpool have reportedly rejected a new €100 million bid from Liga side Barcelona for Philippe Coutinho, with the club insisting he is not for sale.


The Reds had already turned down an offer worth £72 million from the Spanish giants, and the new bid is said to have been worth £77 million up front, with a further £13 million in add-ons.

In need of a replacement for Neymar, and boosted by the influx of £198 million from the Brazilian’s sale to Paris Saint-Germain, Barcelona returned with an improved bid.

But according to widespread reports on Wednesday night, Liverpool turned down their offer of €100 million (£90.4 million) immediately and now consider the matter closed.

The Telegraph‘s Chris Bascombe writes that “the Merseyside club has reiterated its stance on their 25-year-old midfielder and insist the Brazilian will not be sold in this window.

“There is no sign of Jurgen Klopp or owner Fenway Sports Group changing their stance.

“Liverpool have no intention of entering negotiations for his transfer or naming a price.”

Coutinho is said to have told Liverpool of his desire to leave for Catalonia, but is not likely to push for a move.

Barcelona’s latest approach may have been designed to test both Liverpool and Coutinho’s resolve, but the Reds’ stance on the matter is clear: he won’t leave.

The No. 10 is currently sidelined with a back injury and could miss Saturday’s season opener away to Watford in the Premier League.

But Coutinho has been included in Klopp’s 32-man squad for the upcoming Champions League play-off clash with Hoffenheim, with the first leg to be held at the Rhein-Neckar-Arena on August 15.

More from This Is Anfield


Fan Comments