Buoyed by three straight league wins, in-form Liverpool recommence their European adventure as arch rivals United arrive for the opening of a mouth-watering tie.
The Reds are seeking revenge for a poor run of results against Louis van Gaal’s team at Anfield, where it promises to be an electric night under the lights as the two clubs meet for the very first time in European competition.
A strong and confident squad is at Klopp’s disposal, but certain absentees present the German with a relatively straightforward selection for the vital first leg in which the Reds search for an advantage to take to the Old Trafford return next week.
Liverpool Team News
- Uncomplicated team selection for Klopp who has strong squad again available
- Milner a doubt after being sent home from training with a virus
- Flanagan also unavailable due to being left out of Europa League squad
- Clyne set to return at right-back in place of Flanagan
- Moreno to continue in left-back role
- Lovren and Sakho set to resume centre-back partnership
- Can and Henderson to form Reds engine room again
- Coutinho likely to replace Milner in attack alongside Lallana and Firmino
- But Milner could keep place if recovers from illness
- Sturridge also likely to return to the XI after two games benched
- Though Klopp could keep faith with Origi up front after bright performances
- Benteke hopeful Crystal Palace heroics earn him unlikely start
The Reds XI vs. United
With Liverpool’s squad in the “best moment” it has been since Klopp arrived by the manager’s own assessment, the German has strong selections to pick.
But with absentees dictating somewhat, the Reds boss is set to unleash arguably the strongest side he possibly could on United, bringing Clyne back into defence, and replacing Milner and Origi with Coutinho and Sturridge in attack.
The strongest Reds XI available would see Klopp’s side line up like so at Anfield:
Alternatively, Klopp could retain a more familiar look to recent games that has seen the Reds impress with their response to League Cup heartbreak.
With the back four and midfield picking itself, Milner could keep his starting shirt – if he recovers from illness – alongside Lallana and Coutinho, who could operate behind Firmino. [td_ad_box spot_id=”custom_ad_2″]
Keeping Sturridge, and Origi, in reserve, Liverpool could line up like this come 8:05pm kick off time:
The Reds have come unstuck against United too often in recent times, but Thursday night must see the new found form and confidence come to the fore to help claim a key first leg victory.
PICK YOUR XI:
More from This Is Anfield
Fan CommentsComments are retrospectively moderated. Some could be subject to delays before publication. They must obey the comment policy. Comments load below.
Please only discuss the article above. General chat can be made on our forums at forums.thisisanfield.com