Luis Suarez has conducted interviews with both the Guardian and Telegraph on Tuesday night, confirming his intentions to hand in an official transfer request and force through his exit from Liverpool.
The Telegraph report:
Luis Suárez told Telegraph Sport on Tuesday night that he will hand in a transfer request before the end of the week if Liverpool do not clear the way for him to move to Arsenal.
Suarez says he feels “betrayed” by Liverpool that he has not been allowed to leave this summer, despite the club’s failure to qualify for the Champions League.
Speaking to The Guardian, Suarez said:
“Last year I had the opportunity to move to a big European club and I stayed on the understanding that if we failed to qualify for the Champions League the following season I’d be allowed to go.
“I gave absolutely everything last season but it was not enough to give us a top-four finish – now all I want is for Liverpool to honour our agreement.”
Arsenal are the only club to have made a formal bid for Suarez, with two rejected bids – the latest being a £40million + £1 bid two weeks ago.
On Tuesday night, in Oslo, manager Brendan Rodgers and the club’s principal owner John Henry repeated their stance that they will not sell Suarez.
“I want to move to play in the Champions League and there is a club offering me that opportunity. I have told the manager that I want to leave the club.
“I am being accused of showing a lack of loyalty but last year I had the opportunity to move to a big European club and I stayed on the understanding that if we did not qualify for the Champions League the following season then I would be allowed to go.
Suarez, who has not been taken to Norway for Liverpool’s pre-season friendly with Valerenga on Wednesday night, says he will hand in an official transfer by the end of the week.
He added that he is ready to challenge Liverpool with both his written contract and verbal agreement he had, whilst he also spoke about his time at the club and his adoration from Reds fans.
Speaking to the Telegraph, Suarez continued, “I don’t think the supporters are angry, I think they understand a player when he has the ambition to triumph at the highest level. I am 26-years-old, I was a long time at Ajax without playing many games in the Champions League. I’m not going to another club to hurt Liverpool.
“I am always going to be grateful to Liverpool for everything. But I have to put my career first. People say Liverpool deserve more from me but I have scored 50 goals in less than 100 games and now I could double the money they paid for me.
“I just ask that they respect the objectives I have in my career. I don’t want things to end badly. I just want us to come to an amicable agreement according to what was agreed.”