Luis Suarez should be fit for the World Cup after undergoing a minor knee operation on Thursday, according to the Uruguay Football Association.
The Uruguay FA announced on Thursday afternoon that Suarez had actually suffered the injury in Liverpool’s final game of the season against Newcastle – presumably in the challenge that Paul Dummett subsequently saw red for.
Despite rest since then though, the pain returned in training on Wednesday night, unexpectedly.
Therefore, Suarez underwent surgery on his meniscus.
The operation was performed after Liverpool authorised the surgery after checking ultrasound scans sent over by the Uruguayan FA, reports The Mirror.
The Uruguay FA statement reads:
“He [Suarez] is not ruled out of World Cup play.
“It is important to note that the player received a direct hit to his left knee during his final Premier League match with Liverpool on Sunday, May 11, 2014, had pain and was on sports rest after finishing the league season.”
Meanwhile, Suarez’s mum told the Association Press that her son is expected to be sidelined for two to three weeks.
Luis Suarez's mum has told AP that he has had knee surgery on his meniscus & will be fit in 2-3 weeks so ready for the World Cup
— Paul Kelso (@pkelso) May 22, 2014
Images tonight show Suarez leaving hospital after surgery, in a wheelchair.
— Rob Harris (@RobHarris) May 22, 2014