The decision to sack Brendan Rodgers was made prior to Sunday’s Merseyside derby, reports BBC Sport this evening.
Rodgers was sacked within an hour of the 1-1 draw with Everton on Sunday, with BBC’s Ben Smith explaining that: “He was visited at home by Ian Ayre and I am told he took the news with dignity and good grace. Many of the players are now off on international duty and so there was was no chance to say goodbye to them.”
The draw in the Merseyside derby meant it was one win in nine games in all competitions and speculation over Rodgers’ future had been building in recent weeks, with Jurgen Klopp, Carlo Ancelotti and Frank de Boer all linked with the Anfield job.
Owners Fenway Sports Group made the decision to sack Rodgers before the derby, but: “did not want to disrupt preparations for the match by making an announcement before the game. Even a victory at Goodison Park would not have prevented Rodgers losing his job.”
Writing on Twitter, Smith says: “FSG have long admired Jurgen Klopp, philosophically he fits and the ‘project’ #LFC now is, certainly appeals to him.”
— Ben Smith (@BSmith) October 4, 2015
Meanwhile, the Echo’s James Pearce writes: “The news that the Northern Irishman was dreading was delivered by Fenway Sports Group president Mike Gordon in a transatlantic phone call after Rodgers had got off the team coach at Melwood.
“Chief executive Ian Ayre then explained the decision in person with Anfield chiefs saying the devastated 42-year-old showed “incredible dignity”.”
Assistant Sean O’Driscoll and first-team coach McAllister are expected to take training at Melwood this week for those players who haven’t gone away on international duty.
Liverpool’s next game is away to Tottenham on October 17th.
Whoever the new manager is will have a tough run, with Liverpool’s next 6 league games being:
WATCH RODGERS’ FINAL PRESS CONFERENCE FROM THIS AFTERNOON AT GOODISON PARK: