We take a look at how Jurgen Klopp could line his Liverpool side up for the visit of Southampton on Sunday afternoon.
Klopp goes in search of his first win as Liverpool manager when Ronald Koeman’s Saints arrive on Merseyside for the German’s inaugural Premier League outing at Anfield.
An improved performance and result from Thursday’s anti-climactic Europa League stalemate will certainly be the order of the day from the new boss, as he searches for three points on Merseyside.
- Roberto Firmino and Christian Benteke could both start after positive Europa League substitute appearances
- But Daniel Sturridge a doubt as knee problem continues to be treated and assessed “day-by-day” with scan scheduled
- Lucas Leiva likely to come back into starting XI after beginning on the bench on Thursday night
- Joao Carlos Teixeira and Jose Enrique available for selection after being ineligible for Europa League action
- Jon Flanagan and Jordan Henderson remain absentees along with Danny Ings and Joe Gomez
- Klopp could change to preferred 4-2-3-1 shape from previously utilised 4-3-2-1 with refreshed attacking options
The Liverpool XI
With little room for manoeuvre defensively, the Reds’ back four is likely to remain the same for the third game running.
In midfield, one change is likely to be forthcoming, however, with Lucas coming back into the starting side in place of Joe Allen, who was hauled off at half-time on Thursday night.
The attacking midfield could remain unchanged should Klopp decide Firmino isn’t ready to play from the start, and if the German feels the same over Benteke’s fitness, Divock Origi will make his third consecutive start with Sturridge unlikely to be ready.
One change to the team while keeping with the same 4-3-2-1 setup would see Liverpool line up like this at Anfield:
However, with the possible availability of Firmino and Benteke, Klopp could introduce both from the beginning and set up with his preferred 4-2-3-1 formation in the process.
A tough decision awaits over where the returning Brazilian could come in, but with James Milner serving as stand-in skipper and Philippe Coutinho of vital importance despite being out of form, Firmino could enter for Adam Lallana.
Up front, Benteke can take the place of Origi in a straight swap with his fellow countryman, if he proves his fitness.
That would see the Reds look like this come 16.15pm kick-off time (GMT) on Sunday:
A tough game awaits against Koeman’s men at Anfield, where Klopp will hope that it proves to be third time lucky.
Pick Your XI
LIVERPOOL VS. SOUTHAMPTON
- Liverpool vs. Southampton: Team news, odds, form guide & more
- KOP Preview: Saints, Winners and Nathaniel Clyne Crossing the Divide
- Jurgen Klopp expecting fierce contest against “well organised” Southampton
- Liverpool assessing Daniel Sturridge’s injury “day by day” – Jurgen Klopp
- Jurgen Klopp: Christian Benteke and Daniel Sturridge “can play together”
- Jurgen Klopp praises “spectacular” Mamadou Sakho after Rubin Kazan heroics
- Lucas Leiva confident of adapting under Jurgen Klopp: “I’m always learning”
- Ronald Koeman “confident” of victory over Jurgen Klopp’s “very different Liverpool”