Liverpool 2-1 Bordeaux
Thursday, 26th November 2015
Europa League Matchday 5
Shortly before kick-off it was revealed Daniel Sturridge has sustained a new foot injury and will undergo a scan before the full extent is known.
- “Definition of a luxury squad player” – Liverpool fans react to Daniel Sturridge’s latest injury setback
Bordeaux took the lead just after the half hour mark when Simon Mignolet inexplicably held onto the ball for over 20 seconds, almost three times the amount allowed.
Israeli referee Alon Yefet awarded the visitors an indirect free-kick just inside Liverpool’s penalty area, from which Henri Saivet expertly curled into the top-left hand corner to silence the Kop.
But Bordeaux’s lead was short-lived when Milner sent a cross in from the left looking for Benteke. The Belgian forward was bundled over by Ludovic Sane and Milner stepped up to equalise from the spot.
Benteke then turned expertly on the edge of the box before unleashing a brilliant volley past Cedric Carrasso with the last kick of the first half and despite Mignolet’s loss of concentration, the Reds led at the break.
It was a busy night for Benteke, who also had goals ruled out for offside and a foul in either half.
Having now qualified, they have the chance to clinch top spot in their Europa League group when they go to Sion on Thursday 10th December.
Lineups and Substitutions
Liverpool: Mignolet; Clyne, Toure, Lovren, Moreno, Milner, Lucas, Allen (Can 67), Ibe (Origi 90), Firmino (Lallana 73), Benteke.
Substitutes: Bogdan, Skrtel, Brannagan, Randall.
Bordeaux: Carrasso, Contento, Sane, Yambere, Chantome, Biyogo, Plasil (Ounas 84), Rolan, Saivet, Jussie (Maurice-Belay 76), Crivelli (Diabate 66).
Substitutes: Prior, Traore, Guilbert, Poundje.
Referee: Alon Yefet (Israel)
Liverpool 2-1 Bordeaux
- Match Report:
- Player Ratings: Mignolet 5, Allen 7, Benteke 6.5
- Talking Points: Simon’s shambles & job done as progress secured
- Player Focus: Christian Benteke showing how Liverpool can get best of him…and his limitations
- View From the Kop: Anfield resurgent as Liverpool secure Europa progress
- Opinion: Why Liverpool’s victory over Bordeaux was vital for more than just qualification
- Fan Reactions: “Job done, winning habit”
- Paper Talk: “Far from the intense, dazzling destruction of Man City”
- Video: Jurgen Klopp’s Post Liverpool 2-1 Bordeaux Press Conference
- Photos: Best of the action from Liverpool 2-1 Bordeaux