The agent of Christian Benteke has played down reports linking the Liverpool striker with a move away from Anfield this summer.
According to Sky Sports, Benteke’s representative, Kismet Eris, has told them there is “nothing” in the reports claiming his client is on the brink of leaving the Reds.
The 25-year-old is currently on holiday, following his Euro 2016 excursions with Belgium, but that hasn’t stopped constant speculation surrounding his future.
Crystal Palace made a bid worth up to £31.5 million for the striker, with Liverpool holding out for £30 million up front, and reports on Monday claimed personal terms had been agreed, with the transfer set to be completed this week.
However, if Eris is to be believed, those suggestions were wide of the mark.
Benteke only joined Liverpool from Aston Villa a year ago, signing a five-year deal on Merseyside and costing a sizeable £32.5 million.
Things didn’t go as planned for the Belgian, though, and his playing style never remotely felt suited to Jurgen Klopp‘s or Brendan Rodgers’ attacking system.
Ten goals in 42 appearances was a poor return for a player of his experience and pedigree, and he ended up as a squad player at best.
Eris’ comments would suggest that the striker would like to remain at Liverpool beyond the summer, but that seems highly unlikely. The player himself said only last month that it may be “difficult to stay”.
With Daniel Sturridge, Divock Origi and Danny Ings all more suited to and preferred by Klopp, another season on the substitutes’ bench would suit nobody.
A new challenge elsewhere seems a logical next step in Benteke’s career, while Liverpool will be keen to make back a fair chunk of the money they spent on him.