Support our independent LFC content & go advert-free.
Support our independent Liverpool FC content and go advert-free with This Is Anfield Premium.

Liverpool accept new Crystal Palace bid for Christian Benteke

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Liverpool have agreed a deal with Crystal Palace for the sale of Christian Benteke.

BBC Sport’s David Ornstein reports on Thursday evening that the clubs have “agreed a fee of £27 million plus add-ons that could see the deal rise to above £30 million”.

Ornstein adds that Benteke is on his way to south London to undergo a medical and agree personal terms on the move.

The Daily Express‘ Paul Joyce says the “realistic add-ons” of the deal could total an extra £5 million for Liverpool.

Palace had a bid rejected by Liverpool earlier this week due to unrealistic add-on stipulations with a base fee of £23 million.

The Eagles had renewed their interest in Benteke after having a £25 million bid turned down earlier in the summer.

Belgian international Benteke was signed by former Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers in July 2015 for £32.5 million and went on to make 42 appearances for the club, scoring 10 goals.

However it became increasingly clear that the 25-year-old was not part of Jurgen Klopp‘s plans at Anfield, deemed unsuitable for the German’s methods. Benteke didn’t play a minute of Liverpool‘s nine pre-season friendlies.

Klopp made his stance on the striker’s future firmly clear when he told press earlier this month, “Everyone knows about it. Christian already said it — maybe it makes sense to go to another club.

“But he’s still a great striker. If there are clubs that want a striker from us, they have to make real offers and not hope for anything else. We’ll find solutions.”

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Fan Comments