Liverpool won’t promise Anfield Road End expansion until “ready to deliver”

28 September 2016

Following the successful expansion of Anfield’s Main Stand this summer, Liverpool CEO Ian Ayre says FSG will wait before making a final decision on phase two of the stadium’s expansion.


Ayre, who will leave his position at the end of the current campaign, played a key role in overseeing the addition of 8,500 extra seats to the new Main Stand.

Anfield is also boosted by improved interior and exterior facilities, with Liverpool’s clashes with Leicester City and Hull City providing supporters with an excellent matchday experience so far this season. Work continues on some internal areas and will be complete in January.

Phase two of the overall expansion project is still proposed, with the Anfield Road End having outline planning permission in place.

But speaking to FCBusiness this month, Ayre explained that Fenway Sports Group would not announce concrete plans until settled on “the right design.”

“The way we managed the Main Stand expansion was great and we will continue in a similar vein to be cautious and not promise anything until we are ready to deliver,” he said.

“We will come along with planning if and when we have the right design and economic model.

“Once we have these parts in place, we will let people know.”

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - Saturday, September 10, 2016: Liverpool take on Leicester City during the FA Premier League match at Anfield. (Pic by David Rawcliffe/Propaganda)

For now, Anfield’s new 54,074 capacity provides a great backdrop to the performances of Jurgen Klopp‘s side, and Ayre said the club were more than happy with the Main Stand expansion.

“In the case of the Main Stand the reality is more than we expected,” he said.

“[It is] far superior than our expectations from the point of view of the stadium design, the lounges, concourses and acoustics.

“Anfield has one of the most unique atmospheres in world football, so the design definitely considered how to keep that noise inside the stadium.

“The atmosphere in the opening game [against] Leicester was similar to the atmosphere I remember from watching games here in the 1970s when the capacity was at a similar level to now.”

There is still work to do, however, with a deal to secure naming rights for the Main Stand yet to be concluded.

Liverpool are said to be looking for between £5 million and £7 million per year for the privilege, but FSG will only commit to a long-term deal at a minimum of five years.

More from This Is Anfield

Fan Comments