Here, Press Association Sport looks at some numbers ahead of the Anfield game.
– Goals in three matches between the clubs last season (including League Cup final).
– Successive league wins enjoyed by Liverpool in this fixture (2-1, March 2015; 4-1, November 2015; 3-0, March 2016). The last time they won four consecutively against City was 1981.
– Meetings between the sides in the Premier League. Liverpool have won 17 and City seven with 14 draws. Thirteen of Liverpool’s wins were at Anfield.
– The last time City won at Anfield in the Premier League. Former Liverpool striker Nicolas Anelka scored twice in a 2-1 win in May of that year.
– Goals scored by Sergio Aguero, who returns from a four-game suspension this weekend, against Liverpool since joining Manchester City in 2011. None of the goals were at Anfield.
– Goal scored by Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge – who struck for the first time in the Premier League this season on Tuesday – against Manchester City since leaving the club in 2009. He was also sent off playing against City while on loan with Bolton from Chelsea in 2011.
– League goals scored by Liverpool in 2016, their most in a calendar year since 1985.