Liverpool centre-back Mamadou Sakho returned to training at Melwood on Tuesday afternoon, though he is unlikely to remain there for too long.
Sakho spent the second half of the 2016/17 campaign on loan with Crystal Palace, but was limited to just eight appearances after suffering a knee injury in April.
His time at Selhurst Park served as a short-term resolution to issues between the Frenchman and Jurgen Klopp, who expelled him from first-team duties last summer.
But with his spell with the Eagles ending last month, Sakho has taken to the Reds’ training facility to continue his rehabilitation.
Providing an update on his fitness with a video on Instagram on Tuesday, the 27-year-old said he was “back to work,” drawing support from Jon Flanagan and Christian Benteke:
Sakho is likely to remain at Melwood until he seals a move away from Liverpool, with the club hoping to negotiate a £30 million sale this summer.
He is not expected to join Klopp’s squad when they reconvene at the beginning of July, however, having been exiled for a series of lapses in discipline during last pre-season.
Sent home early from Liverpool’s tour of the United States, Sakho spent the first six months of the season playing for the Reds’ U23s.
Palace were believed to be interested in signing Sakho on a permanent deal, which would have been an ideal solution for Liverpool, but their stance has now changed.
With Sam Allardyce leaving the club at the end of May, the Eagles have appointed former Ajax and Inter Milan manager Frank de Boer—formerly a candidate for the role at Anfield—to take his place.
But speaking on his unveiling on Monday afternoon, De Boer cast doubt over a possible move for Sakho, saying he needed to run the rule over his current squad first.
“He was certainly impressive and important last season, but we will look at what we need,” the Dutchman said.
“First of all I need to see all the players and get a good opinion on them.
“I know a lot about the team, but it’s different when a new manager comes in.
“Already I have my opinion, but I need to see them live to see if my opinion changes.”
Palace only have three senior centre-backs in their ranks at present, however, in Scott Dann, James Tomkins and Damien Delaney, with Martin Kelly also able to deputise.