Premier League clubs retain interest in Mamadou Sakho and Lazar Markovic

25 July 2017

Liverpool duo Mamadou Sakho and Lazar Markovic are yet to secure moves away this summer, but a host of Premier League clubs retain their interest.


Neither Sakho or Markovic have a place in Jurgen Klopp‘s plans on Merseyside, with the German confirming on Sunday that “it’s no secret” the latter is free to leave.

However, the Reds are yet to struck a deal with any clubs for the out-of-favour pair, nor left-back Alberto Moreno, as Klopp looks to remould his squad.

According to the Mirror, however, there is still considerable interest in both Sakho and Markovic.

Watford and Hull City are said to be pursuing Markovic, who spent the second half of last season on loan with the Tigers, impressing manager Marco Silva, who is now at Vicarage Road.

Liverpool were previously claimed to value the Serbian at £20 million, but this has since dropped to just £8 million.

Meanwhile, Crystal Palace‘s interest in Sakho has not waned despite Frank de Boer sealing the signing of Jairo Riedewald from Ajax on Monday.

Moves for Bruno Martins Indi, Joel Veltman and Kurt Zouma have proved fruitless, while Kenny Tete has joined Lyon, ensuring both Sakho and Calum Chambers remain on the Eagles’ radar.

However, Liverpool won’t allow the Frenchman to leave on loan, insisting on a permanent deal, with the price tag standing at £30 million.

HONG KONG, CHINA - Saturday, July 22, 2017: Liverpool's manager Jürgen Klopp applauds the supporters after beating Leicester City 2-0 during the Premier League Asia Trophy final match between Liverpool and Leicester City at the Hong Kong International Stadium. (Pic by David Rawcliffe/Propaganda)

Liverpool have already sanctioned the departures of Ryan Fulton, Andre Wisdom, Lucas Leiva and Kevin Stewart this summer, joining Hamilton Academical, Derby County, Lazio and Hull City.

There are likely many more to follow them through the Anfield exit, as work continues in earnest this transfer window.

Meanwhile, Klopp is still eager to secure the services of Southampton centre-back Virgil van Dijk and RB Leipzig midfielder Naby Keita.

The Reds are waiting for assurances from the Saints that they would be willing to negotiate for Van Dijk, while reports on Monday night claimed a new £74.2 million bid has been made for Keita.

While deals for Klopp’s priority targets are proving increasingly protracted, the same can be said of the club’s potential outgoings.

Shifting deadwood such as Sakho, Markovic and Moreno is still a key focus for the transfer window, as they are highly unlikely to be given any opportunities if they remain on Merseyside.

More from This Is Anfield



Fan Comments