Liverpool ‘have not agreed’ £109m Philippe Coutinho deal with Barcelona

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Contrary to reports on Tuesday, it is claimed that Liverpool have not, and will not, agreed a £109 million deal with Barcelona for Philippe Coutinho.

Sources in both Brazil and Spain suggested that Coutinho’s move to the Nou Camp was being finalised, with the Liga side sending a delegation to England for talks.

This comes with Barcelona eager to secure a replacement for Neymar, who left to join Paris Saint-Germain in a world-record £198 million deal earlier this month.

However, according to Goal‘s Melissa Reddy, Liverpool have not held further talks with the Catalan outfit since rejecting their initial £72 million bid at the end of July.

Furthermore, they are said to be unwilling to meet with Barcelona officials, as “they do not need a face-to-face sit down to reiterate that Coutinho is not on the market.”

It was also suggested that Coutinho had mounted a “training protest” in spurious reports on Tuesday, but this has also been quashed.

Jurgen Klopp is believed to have told Coutinho he is not for sale, and Liverpool won’t part ways with their No. 10 at any price.

Further reports have claimed that the 25-year-old does desire a move to rejoin Luis Suarez at Barcelona, but “there is no expectation that will he agitate to leave.”

LONDON, ENGLAND - Sunday, October 19, 2014: Liverpool's Philippe Coutinho Correia celebrates scoring the second goal against Queens Park Rangers with team-mate captain Steven Gerrard during the Premier League match at Loftus Road. (Pic by David Rawcliffe/Propaganda)

Spanish football correspondent Guilem Balague also updated similarly on Wednesday morning, saying that “LFC not heard at all from FCB since that offer they received while in Hong Kong. They insisit they not selling and no plans for meetings.

“FCB have strategy based in patience but also admit that if it’s not Coutinho it will be another one. And that they won’t overspend on him.

“Coutinho has NOT handed a transfer request, has a back injury and still behaving impeccably according to club.”

He also added that Barcelona “has nothing to do with false Coutinho stories doing rounds in the Spanish press. More to do with clicks I’m afraid.”

Speaking as part of BT Sport‘s coverage of the European Super Cup final between Real Madrid and Man United on Tuesday night, Steven Gerrard discussed Coutinho’s prospects of a move.

The 37-year-old stressed that Liverpool are “not a selling club,” and it would depend on “what type of war he’s prepared to create to get out.”

“The good thing from the Liverpool fans’ point of view is the manager is desperate to keep hold of him and is trying everything to keep hold of him,” he said.

“The owners want him to stay. This is not a situation where Liverpool need money or to cash in.

“We’re not a selling club so they’re gonna do everything in their power for him to stay.

“But at the end of the day it comes down to Philippe Coutinho and his decision and what he’s prepared to do, what type of war he’s prepared to create to get out, because Liverpool won’t make it easy for him.”

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Fan Comments