It had been claimed last month that the wantaway No.10 would ask not to be included in the Reds’ European squad, a claim that his representatives used in their bizarre attempts to force through a move to Barcelona.
The most significant part of Coutinho being named in the squad is that, assuming he should appear for Liverpool in the group stages, he cannot play for another club in this season’s Champions League.
Coutinho plays for Brazil on Tuesday evening (UK), and is expected back on Merseyside on Wednesday. He should then train with the squad on Thursday and Friday.
Liverpool begin their Champions League campaign at home to Sevilla next Wednesday evening.
Liverpool’s Confirmed Champions League Squad
Goalkeepers: Mignolet, Karius, Ward
Defenders: Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Lovren, Gomez, Klavan, Moreno, Robertson, Flanagan, Masterson
Midfielders: Wijnaldum, Milner, Coutinho, Henderson, Grujic, Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Can, Brannagan, Ejaria, Kent, Ojo.
Forwards: Firmino, Sturridge, Solanke, Salah, Mane, Wilson, Woodburn, Brewster.
* Update: Clyne has bizarrely been left out.
Liverpool’s Champions League Fixtures:
- Matchday 1 – September 13 – Sevilla (H)
- Matchday 2 – September 26 – Spartak Moscow (A)
- Matchday 3 – October 17 – Maribor (A)
- Matchday 4 – November 1 – Maribor (H)
- Matchday 5 – November 21 – Sevilla (A)
- Matchday 6 – December 6 – Spartak Moscow (H)