Liverpool have earmarked Lyon captain Nabil Fekir as a key signing this summer—but a deal isn’t currently close, the French international has said.
The Reds are looking to get some transfer business done early, both to ensure Jurgen Klopp has as many options at his disposal throughout pre-season and to avoid the delays which will happen over the World Cup.
With Naby Keita already coming in and more spending a certainty this summer, Fekir would represent a tremendous addition to bolster the attacking half of the pitch.
Plenty of reports suggested the Reds had already agreed a fee and were close to sealing the move, but Fekir himself has put the brakes on such claims.
“I’m not close to the Reds,” he told TF1’s Telefoot programme.
“There are discussions with several clubs, but we will take the time to think.”
— Téléfoot (@telefoot_TF1) May 27, 2018
Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has already said that there has been no official bid from Liverpool.
The outspoken chief also reiterated that any team would have to be “very, very rich to sign Nabil Fekir this year.”
Regardless, Fekir’s comments that he’s in talks with several clubs should serve his current team as a signal of his intent to move on.
Reds supporters need not yet be unduly concerned; first of all Fekir’s reply could be seen as a confirmation that Liverpool are involved in talks for him.
And, perhaps more cynically, there is often an element of gamesmanship to be had in contract talks and transfer discussions.
Most importantly, it seems that Liverpool have once again earmarked early their preferred targets for the close season and are beginning to make their moves to further strengthen the squad.