Alberto Moreno gives update on Liverpool future ahead of January transfer window

27 December 2018


🔴 Read this article advert-free, enter exclusive competitions and support our independent Liverpool FC content.
Try This Is Anfield Premium free for 30 days.

Alberto Moreno has hinted that he could look for a move away from Liverpool in January, despite the club offering him a new contract earlier this season.


Moreno has continued to play a bit-part role for the Reds so far this term, making just four appearances in all competitions, of which three have been starts.

With the Spaniard’s contract expiring in the summer, he has been widely touted with a free transfer at the end of the season, with academy prospect Adam Lewis his expected replacement.

Lewis and fellow youth talent Liam Millar trained with the first-team squad over Christmas, and the Scouser’s strong performances for the U23s this season suggest he is capable of filling in as Robertson’s backup.

And Moreno, speaking to Spanish radio show El Transistor after the 4-0 win over Newcastle on Boxing Day, has explained how he is weighing up his options for the New Year.

“Liverpool have proposed renewing my contract but no agreement has been reached,” he said.

“In January the market opens and we will see.

“To this day we have nothing decided, neither with Liverpool nor with other clubs.”

Furthermore, he is claimed to have told Cadena Ser that “moving back to Spain is something I have thought about.”

“I am tired of the cold here but I do not know about interest from other clubs,” he said.

“I am in my fifth year here, there is no agreement on a renewal and in January I am free to listen to any offer.”

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - Friday, August 24, 2018: Liverpool's Adam Lewis during the Under-23 FA Premier League 2 Division 1 match between Manchester City FC and Liverpool FC at the City of Manchester Stadium. (Pic by David Rawcliffe/Propaganda)

It would be interesting to see if Liverpool would consider offers for Moreno in January, with the likes of Sevilla, Fenerbahce, Marseille, Villarreal and even Arsenal, Barcelona and Real Madrid all credited with an interest.

If they do, this could be a major show of faith in the 19-year-old Lewis, who is yet to make his first-team debut and wasn’t even involved during pre-season.

The versatile full-back, who is also able to operate in midfield, similar to Trent Alexander-Arnold, has made great strides since the start of last season, from U18s captain to regular at U23 level.

This season, only Pedro Chirivella and George Johnston (both 17) have made more appearances for Neil Critchley‘s side than Lewis (16), while he is also one of six ever-presents in the UEFA Youth League.

Preferably, Moreno would stay until the end of the season to provide experienced cover for Andy Robertson during the Reds’ title charge, however.

Elsewhere, the 26-year-old said “the dressing room is very close, we are a family,” but conceded he “I did not like the way [Jurgen Klopp] has treated him.”

More from This Is Anfield



Fan Comments


This Is Anfield Premium

Go advert-free*
Exclusive competitions
Support independent LFC content
START FREE TRIAL
* Premium upgrades for our forums and iOS/Android apps are sold separately.