Liverpool fan Sean Cox is set to return to Anfield for the first time on Sunday since being hospitalised following a life-changing attack in 2018.
The unprovoked attack left him in a coma with traumatic brain injuries, where he has recently moved to a rehabilitation centre in Sheffield to continue his recovery following 18 months of treatment in Ireland.
The club have invited Sean and his loved ones as their guests and they will take their place in the directors’ box for the duration of the game.
Liverpool fan Sean Cox will return to Anfield this weekend for this first time since he was violently attacked ahead of the match against Roma last year. @LFC have invited him to the game against Man City on Sunday ??
— CapitalLivNews (@CapitalLivNews) November 6, 2019
Sean’s wife, Martina told Newstalk that going to the match on Sunday will “be great for Sean” and provide him with another boost on his road to recovery.
“We’re getting him there, and that’s a really positive thing for him – I think it will be great for him,” she said.
“Liverpool have been amazing, and they’ve really come on board. Obviously they had the [charity] game in the Aviva… so I reckon they’ll be pulling out all the stops for Seán.
“It will give him a boost, I think, on Sunday.”
It is more welcome news for all involved following the announcement of a comedy shown to be hosted by John Bishop in January which has been set up to raise further funds for the Sean Cox Rehabilitation Trust – where the likes of Michael McIntyre, Tommy Tiernan and Dara O’Briain are all to be involved.
Sean continues to make progress in his recovery, but he is likely to need lifetime therapy and treatment.