Jurgen Klopp has plenty to weigh up as he plots the downfall of Atletico Madrid, with key decisions in defence, midfield and attack for Liverpool.
The Reds didn’t show their best selves over the weekend having relinquished yet another lead this season, with plenty of areas to address heading into the Champions League fixture.
And it gives the manager some much-needed options to plot Atletico’s downfall.
Here’s how Liverpool could lineup at Anfield.
- Fabinho and Thiago both “in contention” to feature
- Midfield pair trained “completely normal” their role remains uncertain
- Keita “will be out for a while” with a hamstring injury, as too Milner
- Klopp acknlowdged “injuries [in this] period of the season [are] completely normal.”
Liverpool’s XI vs. Atletico
One can expect a few tweaks from the side who drew with Brighton and it would not be a surprise to see them come in each department.
- Matip to replace Konate at the back
- Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Van Dijk and Robertson complete the back five
- Fabinho to take back No. 6 role to unleash Henderson next to Jones
- And Jota back in the XI over Firmino, alongside Salah and Mane
This is how the Reds could then lineup:
- A switch at left-back with Tsimikas allowing Robertson a break
- Konate drops out after two league starts, with Matip returning
- Henderson, Jones and Oxlade-Chamberlain to start as midfield trio
- And an unchanged forward line of Salah, Mane and Firmino
Liverpool would then set up like this:
Alisson; Alexander-Arnold, Matip, Van Dijk, Tsimikas; Henderson, Jones, Oxlade-Chamberlain; Salah, Mane, Firmino
Ultimately, the significant decision will come down to whether Fabinho is deemed fit enough to start and then it is a case of any needed tweaks but Liverpool are, thankfully, not struggling for depth elsewhere.
It’ll be another tussle and Luis Suarez will be throwing his weight around but should Liverpool remain defensively sound and disciplined, another win is certainly in the reckoning.