Liverpool will hold further talks with Wigan boss Roberto Martinez over becoming the new gaffer at Anfield on Tuesday, Sky Sports report.
Martinez is understood to be the only candidate in the running for the job after Swansea’s Brendan Rodgers and Borussia Dortmund’s Jurgen Klopp both ruled themselves out of a switch to Merseyside.
Martinez spent last week talking with Liverpool’s owners Fenway Sports Group in Miami over the deal and has been set a deadline by Latics chairman Dave Whelan to decide his future. Martinez will return from holiday in the Caribbean to discuss his future.
Martinez is current favourite for the role, edging Rodgers with the bookies.
Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins told press earlier today that the Reds had not made a move for their manager, despite a recent burst of speculation.
“We would like to clarify the speculation in the press surrounding our manager Brendan Rodgers,” he said.
“We would like to confirm that there has been no contact from Liverpool and nothing has changed since our previous statement on the issue.”
Fans Are Reading
Fan CommentsComments are retrospectively moderated. Some could be subject to delays before publication. They must obey the comment policy. Comments load below.
Please only discuss the article above. General chat can be made on our forums at forums.thisisanfield.com