NYE News Round-up: Parry on transfer funds

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

The January transfer window opens tomorrow and so the job of strengthening Liverpool’s squad for a renewed attack on the Premier League title in the New Year begins.

Chief executive Rick Parry today put to rest any fears that manager Rafael Benitez will be short on money to spend when it comes to bringing players in over the next month.

Benitez has made it publically clear how we wishes to bring in some fresh faces to his Anfield set up as the Reds challenge in the league, FA Cup and Champions League.

Parry said today, “Money is always available if we need it.

“We’re not going to give our plans away, but if we need to do something, we’ll do it.

“We spent more money this summer than ever before. The whole business model for the Americans is based on success.

“There is no point investing in a new stadium and having a team that isn’t successful ‘“ clearly I’m not going to quote figures but there hasn’t been any change of budget.”

Harry Kewell admits he is not thinking about signing a new contract with the club and is committed to fully recovering from his recent long-term injuries and making a decent run of appearances in the team.

Kewell has previously been criticised for the amount of time spent on the sidelines, returning for big matches. But the Australian international appears to be eager to show his worth with some dazzling performances in the league this season.

Speaking to the official Liverpool FC magazine, Kewell, says, “The last four years have been hellish with one injury after another.

“But I can’t even think about a new contract. That is what people have been talking about and saying about me, but I will tell the truth so the fans know the truth.

“And that is why I haven’t honestly thought about it. I can’t think about it at the moment.

“With my injury history and my record over the last two seasons, games and goals wise, I can look no further than the next match.

“That is all I am prepared to do. Take one training session at a time and do my best and give my all every time.”

Brazilian full-back Fabio Aurelio has looked back on Sunday’s frustrating goalless draw at Manchester City, regretting chances missed.

Heroic defending from City kept Liverpool at Bay and maintained their unbeaten home record at Eastlands this season. Aurelio twice came close to breaking the deadlock for the Reds, but in the end the visitors could find no way through.

Aurelio said, “If you look at the work we did, especially in the second half, I think it’s clear that we deserved the three points and it is really disappointing that we only got a draw.

“We had five or six chances and we need to take these chances if we want to get nearer to the top of the table.

“It’s a pity that we could not score and at the end it was only a draw.”

Meanwhile rumours and reports are linking Fulham , under new coach Roy Hodgson, with a January transfer window move for central defender Sami Hyypia. Hyypia missed yesterday’s 0-0 draw at Manchester City with an ankle problem.

And finally, This Is Anfield would like to thank everyone who’s visited the site in 2007. However and wherever you’re seeing in the New Year in tonight, have a great night and come back and visit us in 2008!

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Fan Comments