Man Utd 2-1 LFC: Spirited comeback too late for attacking Liverpool

Man United 2-1 Liverpool
Premier League
Sunday 13th January 2013


Goals: van Persie (19), Vidic (54); Sturridge (57)

Liverpool were left to pay for a dreary opening hour of their Premier League clash against Manchester United on Sunday afternoon, going down 2-1, despite a positive display of pressing football in the final half hour.

United went 2-0 up through goals from Robin van Persie and Nemanda Vidic. Liverpool’s unorganised defence will look back at both goals thinking they could have been more alert to prevent both.

Replays show that Vidic was offside when scoring the goal as it had initially come off defender Patrice Evra, however, referee Howard Webb had a fair game overall.

But the second half introduction of Daniel Sturridge saw Liverpool spark into a new life and the £12million man from Chelsea bagged his second goal for his new clubs after just minutes of coming on, on hand to tap hope a rebound after Steven Gerrard‘s low shot was saved by De Gea.

Liverpool continued to press and attack, causing United a string of problems, but their defence was up for the challenge – ending the game with six defenders, and putting up a strong guard to stop Sturridge, Luis Suarez and Fabio Borini from breaking through.

The Reds stay in 8th place on 31 points after 21 games. Next up is Norwich at home on Saturday afternoon (19th January, 3pm).


Hosted by Rutube.


Manchester United: De Gea, Rafael, Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic (Smalling – 79′ ), Carrick, Young (Valencia – 46′ ), Cleverley, Kagawa (Jones – 77′ ), Welbeck, Van Persie.

Substitutes: Amos, Jones, Smalling, Valencia, Anderson, Giggs, Hernandez.

Liverpool: Reina, Johnson, Agger, Skrtel, Wisdom, Gerrard, Downing, Lucas Booked (Sturridge – 46′ ), Allen (Henderson – 80′ ), Sterling (Borini – 62′ ), Suarez.

Substitutes: Jones, Carragher, Robinson, Henderson, Shelvey, Sturridge, Borini.

Ref: H Webb
Att: 75,501

More from This Is Anfield

Fan Comments