LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - Saturday, January 24, 2015: Liverpool's Philippe Coutinho Correia in action against Bolton Wanderers' Dorian Dervite during the FA Cup 4th Round match at Anfield. (Pic by Lindsey Parnaby/Propaganda)

Liverpool 0-0 Bolton: Reds forced to FA Cup replay by resolute Bolton

Liverpool were left frustrated by an organised Bolton defence, being held to a goalless draw in their FA Cup fourth Round encounter at Anfield on Saturday afternoon.

Liverpool 0-0 Bolton Wanderers
FA Cup 4th Round – Anfield – Saturday, 24th January 2015


Brendan Rodgers made five changes to the Liverpool side that drew 1-1 with Chelsea in the League Cup on Tuesday night — Glen Johnson, Joe Allen, Adam Lallana, Javi Manquillo and Jose Enrique coming in.

Former Reds striker Emile Heskey started for the visitors, receiving a standing ovation from the Kop when he was substituted on 56 minutes.

A frustrating first half for Liverpool saw plenty of attacking movement, but no end product — Philippe Coutinho, Adam Lallana and Jordan Henderson seeing efforts saved by Bolton goalkeeper Adam Bogdan.

The half-time introduction of Lazar Markovic for Jose Enrique, and later Lucas Leiva and Fabio Borini for Joe Allen and Javier Manquillo, brought about an increased sense of urgency, but Liverpool continued to struggle to get past a resolute Bolton defence.

Minutes after coming on Borini tested Bogdan again, but the Hungarian produced another fine save, this time to deny the Italian.

Henderson had a late claim for a penalty, going down in front of goal, but referee Kevin Friend waved appeals away, before Borini flashed a header wide in injury time.

The replay will take place in the week beginning February 2nd 2015 at the Macron Stadium, but Liverpool now turn their attentions to Tuesday’s League Cup Semi-Final, Second Leg against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - Saturday, January 24, 2015: Liverpool supporters' banner on the Spion Kop during the FA Cup 4th Round match against Bolton Wanderers at Anfield. (Pic by Lindsey Parnaby/Propaganda)


Liverpool avoided an FA Cup upset at home to Bolton but even on a day of shocks it was not much of an achievement after a toothless display and 0-0 draw against Championship opponents Bolton.

There was a distinct absence of the vigour and verve of their exhilarating second-half performance against Chelsea in the Capital One Cup in midweek as Neil Lennon succeeded where Jose Mourinho had failed in keeping a clean sheet at Anfield.

The visitors defended resolutely, if sometimes illegally, to earn a replay after Liverpool failed to break them down.

There was no cup fairytale for Emile Heskey on his return to his former club as part of a combined 73-year-old strikeforce with Eidur Gudjohnsen as he was replaced just after half-time – but the consolation is he gets another go back at the Macron Stadium, where there will be a greater chance of an upset.

After the surprise results posted by lower league opposition against the Premier League's finest earlier in the day Liverpool could have been forgiven for being cautious.

However, inviting the opposition onto them in the first 10 minutes, which included one almighty penalty area scramble at a corner, was not the ideal way to settle the nerves.

Gradually they established some control with Jordan Henderson, deputising for the captain Steven Gerrard who was omitted from the squad entirely with Tuesday's League Cup semi-final second leg at Stamford Bridge to come, taking charge in central areas with a dipping left-footed volley palmed away by Bolton goalkeeper Adam Bogdan.

The growing relationship between Philippe Coutinho and Raheem Sterling again looked Liverpool's most profitable avenue but too often the final pass could not get through or, if it did, neither appeared too keen on shooting.

Finding themselves having to cope with runners from all directions, Wanderers' Matt Mills and Josh Vela were both booked for attempted rugby tackles on Sterling and Joe Allen, making his first appearance since the loss to Manchester United in mid-December – Liverpool's only defeat in the last 16 matches.

Bolton's best chance came from Dean Moxey's long-range shot which spun just wide, although Simon Mignolet chesting down the ball outside his area and almost getting caught in possession at the end of the first half produced an audible sharp intake of breath around Anfield.

Within five minutes of the restart Henderson's diagonal ball picked out Lazar Markovic, on for the ineffectual Jose Enrique, who passed Mills only to go down just outside the area.

Inexplicably referee Kevin Friend decided the already-cautioned Bolton captain had not committed a foul nor had the Serbia international dived – although television replays suggested the former.

Bogdan judged his block far better when Sterling raced onto a through-ball from Coutinho, who then saw a low drive well saved by Bogdan – only for Javier Manquillo to snatch at the rebound and drag his shot wide.

Bolton knew they would not get many chances but they would have wanted them to fall to Gudjohnsen and a striker of his experience had to do better than ballooning over Vela's cross from 10 yards out.

Rodgers's last throw of the dice was to send on Lucas Leiva and Fabio Borini for Allen and the disappointing Javier Manquillo – and virtually Borini's first touch saw his shot denied by Bogdan.

Another former Liverpool player Jay Spearing, on as a substitute, could have gifted his old club a penalty after seeming to push Henderson as he charged through on goal but Friend saw no foul.

A header wide from Borini and Lucas's long-range effort were Liverpool's last chances as Bolton held on as their fans celebrated like it was a victory and in the directors' box chairman Phil Gartside punched the air. PA



Liverpool: Mignolet, Johnson, Can, Sakho, Manquillo (Borini 70), Allen (Lucas 70), Hendo, Enrique (Markovic 46), Coutinho, Lallana, Sterling.

Subs not used: Ward, Lovren, Lambert, Rossiter.

Bolton: Bogdan, Moxey (Wheater 83), Mills (Spearing 73), Ream, Dervite, Vela, Danns, Pratley, Feeney, Gudjohnsen, Heskey (Wilkinson 56).

Subs not used: Lonergan, McNaughton, Hall, Trotter, Wilkinson.

Referee: Kevin Friend