New Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp charmed a huge group of assembled media with an entertaining 26-minute press conference.
Here are some of the highlights:
On cutting short his year-long sabbatical.
“I’m back in the race and it’s the biggest honour I can imagine. It is the perfect next step for me to be here to try to help.”
On what he did since leaving Borussia Dortmund in May.
“I had a normal holiday. I am 48 and most of the time in my life I had no money to take a holiday and then I had no time. Then I had four months. I played a lot of tennis, watched football all over the world. Of course I thought I had until next year.”
On becoming Liverpool manager.
“Of course it is surreal. I have to accept it. I woke up this morning and I was manager of Liverpool FC. I am prepared but of course this is absolutely crazy what has happened.”
On the task facing him.
“I’ve been given this opportunity to try to help in a situation that is not so difficult as all the people in this room feel.”
On the squad he has inherited.
“This is a great club with big potential, fast players, strong players, good defenders. Everything is there. Four or five strikers you can work with when they are not injured, midfielders, defenders are experienced and young, goalkeeper is really good.”
On his message to players and fans.
“You have to change from doubters to believers. We have to start anew and see what happens this year.”
On the long wait for a Premier League title.
“Twenty five years ago is a long time. You don’t take history in your backpack and carry it with you for 25 years.”
On their title prospects.
“We can wait for it but I don’t want to say we can wait 20 years. If we sit here in four years I think we’ll have won one title – I’m pretty sure.”
“I don’t want to describe myself. Does anyone in this room think I can do wonders? No. I am a totally normal guy. I am the Normal One.”
On how he wants to be thought of.
“When I left Dortmund, my last sentence was ‘It is not so important what people think when you come in, it is much more important what they think what you leave’.”
On the British press.
“All the people tell me so much about the British press so it is up to you (the media) to show me they are all liars.”
- CONFIRMED: Liverpool appoint Jurgen Klopp as new manager
- FULL QUOTES: Jurgen Klopp’s unveiling press conference as Liverpool manager
- THE NORMAL ONE: Jurgen Klopp plays down Liverpool expectation: “I am the Normal One!”
- KLOPP: Liverpool can be “the hardest team to beat in the world”
- FSG: “We have appointed a world-class manager” in Jurgen Klopp
- INTERVIEW: Jurgen Klopp looking to create “memories to cherish” at Liverpool
- FAN REACTION: “This promises to be some ride” – Joyous Liverpool fans react to Jurgen Klopp appointment
- MEDIA REACTION: “Liverpool’s biggest coup since 2004”- How the papers reported Jurgen Klopp’s appointment at Liverpool FC
- OPINION: Jurgen Klopp appointment a real show of ambition from FSG