Liverpool release statement condemning Jon Flanagan after assault charge

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Liverpool FC have released a statement after defender Jon Flanagan was sentenced to 40 hours of unpaid work and a community order for assaulting his girlfriend.

The 25-year-old was sentenced on Wednesday, having pleaded guilty to common assault by beating of Rachael Wall at an earlier hearing.

A statement from Liverpool condemned the player’s actions and said internal disciplinary action will follow.

“We condemn, in the strongest possible terms, the player’s actions during the events that took place resulting in this criminal conviction.

“It leaves his own reputation damaged and, through association, he has severely let down the club he had previously represented with distinction.

“We have expressed to him our disappointment and anger that he has failed to live up to the values of Liverpool Football Club, in this specific instance.

“The club has allowed the legal formalities to reach a conclusion before deciding on or implementing any internal disciplinary action. That internal process will now begin.

“The club has no further comment to make at this time.”

The Liverpool Echo report that CCTV captured Flanagan grabbing his girlfriend around the throat before shoving her into a wall on two occasions.

On the second occasion, she could be seen falling to the floor, at which point Flanagan kicks her to the body.

Flanagan told the court that he and his girlfriend were still in a relationship and they are “working hard to get it back on track” after the incident.

The player, who has made just one appearance this season – at Leicester in the League Cup – currently has a contract at Anfield until June 2019.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email