Liverpool could see 13 of their loanees in action over the next three days, with particular interest in Marko Grujic at Hertha Berlin and Harry Wilson at Derby.
The Reds take on Southampton at Anfield on Saturday in their easiest clash of a brutal seven-game run on paper, as they look to extend their perfect record.
Like Jurgen Klopp‘s side, Grujic’s loan club are still undefeated so far this season, with the Serbian settling in well at the Olympiastadion.
Pal Dardai has overseen three wins and a draw in Hertha’s first four games, as they look to further an early challenge for Bayern Munich’s title against Borussia Monchengladbach on Saturday.
Grujic has started the last two Bundesliga games—a 2-0 win at Schalke and a 2-2 draw with Wolfsburg—and has played in a variety of midfield roles for Dardai.
This versatility will aid him as a host of senior players return from injury this month, but the 22-year-old is clearly already key to Hertha’s approach.
Felt good to be back out there tonight after a frustrating few weeks out!! Thought it was a good performance from the lads and disappointing not to take all 3 points! We go again Saturday???? @dcfcofficial
— harry wilson (@harrywilson_) September 18, 2018
Elsewhere, Wilson is looking to work his way back from a “frustrating” time out through injury, with Derby taking on Brentford at Pride Park in a 3pm kickoff on Saturday.
The 21-year-old winger made a bright start under Frank Lampard, but then groin problems saw him miss six games as fellow loanee Mason Mount took centre stage, with four goals in 10 outings.
Wilson came off the bench in the Rams’ 0-0 draw with Blackburn in midweek, and can now set his sights on reclaiming his place in the starting lineup.
Another player hoping to establish himself in the first-choice side at his loan club is Corey Whelan, who has returned to Crewe Alexandra after leaving their academy for Liverpool at 10 years old.
Now, he finds himself in the same squad as his former youth team-mates Charlie Kirk and Callum Ainley, and played the full 90 minutes on his belated debut against Cheltenham Town last weekend.
Crewe take on Port Vale at home on Saturday, and speaking to the Crewe Chronicle ahead of the game Whelan expressed his determination to start in a fierce rival clash.
“Now I’ll be looking to cement my place and get to know the lads a bit more,” he said.
“I watched the highlights of the game last year when Crewe scored late on. It’s a game with an edge and the one you look forward to.”
Grujic, Wilson, Whelan aren’t the only Reds loanees in action over the weekend, with the likes of Ben Woodburn and Sheyi Ojo hoping for starts and Herbie Kane aiming to continue his fine form.
Liverpool’s Loanees This Weekend
- Marko Grujic (Hertha Berlin) – Gladbach (H), Saturday 2.30pm
- Adam Bogdan (Hibernian) – Dundee (A), Saturday 3pm
- Herbie Kane (Doncaster Rovers) – Bradford (H), Saturday 3pm
- Shamal George (Tranmere Rovers) – Newport (H), Saturday 3pm
- Corey Whelan (Crewe Alexandra) – Port Vale (H), Saturday 3pm
- Ben Woodburn (Sheffield United) – Preston North End (H), Saturday 3pm
- Harry Wilson (Derby) – Brentford (H), Saturday 3pm
- Sheyi Ojo (Reims) – Dijon (H), Saturday 7pm
- Anderson Arroyo & Taiwo Awoniyi (KAA Gent) – Brugge (H), Sunday 1.30pm
- Ovie Ejaria & Ryan Kent (Rangers) – St Johnstone (H), Sunday 3pm
- Allan Rodrigues (Eintracht Frankfurt) – RB Leipzig (H), Sunday 5pm
- Loris Karius (Besiktas) – Fenerbahce (A), Monday 7pm
Injured: Connor Randall (Rochdale)
Ineligible: Danny Ings (Southampton)