Jurgen Klopp responds to claims Alberto Moreno is unhappy with Liverpool role

28 December 2018

Jurgen Klopp has acknowledged Alberto Moreno‘s frustrations at a lack of game time at Liverpool, but played down suggestions of any dissent at Melwood.


Moreno has made just four appearances for the Reds so far this season, with Simon Mignolet, Divock Origi and Dominic Solanke the only senior players involved fewer times.

With Andy Robertson cemented as first-choice left-back, and injury problems for the Spaniard allowing Nathaniel Clyne back into the matchday squad as backup full-back, Moreno has expressed concerns over his future.

His contract expires at the end of the season, and in an interview with Spanish radio on Boxing Day he said he “did not like the way” Klopp has treated him.

He suggested he could look to return to Spain in the summer, explaining that he will consider his options next month, when he is able to speak to foreign clubs regarding a free transfer.

As with Mignolet’s criticism of his marginalisation back in August, Klopp responded by praising the 26-year-old’s professionalism in training, but urged him to keep his disappointments private.

“Matt (McCann, press officer) told me about it, I didn’t read it! So I’m not prepared to say something about it,” he said during his pre-Arsenal press conference.

“My idea about things like that is, usually, my door is not always literally open but it’s always open if somebody wants to talk to me.

“That Alberto is not happy with not having that many minutes is obvious.

“The good thing, or more important thing, is he never shows that in any training sessions, he’s a fantastic professional and trains really well when he can.

“The last couple of weeks he had back problems. Yesterday it was the first session when it looked really 100 percent good again. That’s all.”

It will be interesting to see whether Moreno’s reaction will see him drop down the pecking order, with youngster Adam Lewis involved in first-team training in recent weeks.

In theory, Moreno remains a better option if Klopp wishes to rest Robertson, but as the busy festive period draws to a close and his contract runs down, it could be that providing Lewis with experience is deemed more beneficial.

However, with Liverpool chasing the Premier League title and in the last 16 of the Champions League, there will be few real opportunities for the 19-year-old.

He could start against Wolves in the FA Cup third round on January 7, but with Clyne brought on to replace Robertson in the closing stages of Boxing Day’s 4-0 win over Newcastle perhaps the ‘veteran’ option will be preferred either way.

More from This Is Anfield



Fan Comments