It has been a busy day as Liverpool’s new signing was announced and Jurgen Klopp held a press conference.
Our defensive midfielder is here!
Liverpool finally have their elusive holding midfielder, even if he isn’t the club’s first-choice.
Wataru Endo officially completed his move to Liverpool on Friday morning, signing for £16.25 million from Stuttgart.
Meeting the boss for the first time ? pic.twitter.com/DCRa4oazdb
— Liverpool FC (@LFC) August 18, 2023
During the pair’s first in-person embrace, the Liverpool manager emphasised just how important the Japanese captain would be.
“As soon as you are available in the right stuff and in the right shirt, just feel as comfortable as possible because we really need you,” Klopp told the Japan captain.
“We really need you and your heart, and your legs, and your football ability, and your football brain. Your desire, we need it.”
All about Endo
- His contract runs until 2027 – he will be 34 by then
- He will wear the No. 3 shirt – big shoes to fill after Fabinho!
- He signs for £16.25 million from Stuttgart – a fraction of what LFC’s other targets would have cost
- There is a race against time to get his work permit so he can play vs. Bournemouth – they have until the squads are announced
From the press conference…
- Klopp left the door open for more transfers, saying “everything can happen” – but this includes outgoings too
- In a long-winded answer, Klopp said Liverpool do still attract players in the market but it is more difficult – read the interesting report here
Latest chat from elsewhere
- Chelsea have completed the signing of Romeo Lavia for £53 million plus add-ons – never heard of him!
- French outlet L’Equipe report that the Reds are interested in Rennes centre-back Arthur Theate – could be one to keep an eye on
- More of Liverpool’s potential Europa League opponents have been confirmed – you can read a full update here
Video of the day and match of the night
If you’re reading this round-up, you probably like your news in bite-sized chunks.
So, just for you, here is a quick recap of the day’s key points.
Match of the night is Werder Bremen v Bayern Munich at 7.30pm (BST), on Sky Sports Action and their YouTube channel.
It is a chance to see Harry Kane’s league debut for the German champions, as well as watch rumoured Liverpool target Ryan Gravenberch, who could play.