On the same day Boris Johnson stepped down and one Liverpool defender signed a new contract, news emerged of a “significant pay rise” for one of the Reds’ star strikers.
Boris leaves, Gomez stays!
Thursday was a good day! Boris Johnson finally resigned as Prime Minister and there were several snippets of good news for Liverpool.
The club confirmed a new long-term contract for Joe Gomez, with Merseyside reporters confirming the deal ties him down for five more years.
With a World Cup on the horizon, there had been suggestions that Gomez may leave in search of regular football, but after penning his extension, the defender has revealed the two main reasons he chose to stay.
Jurgen Klopp says he believes Gomez’s “best years are still to come” and has also revealed his No. 12 has returned for pre-season “in phenomenal shape.”
Virgil van Dijk, Ibrahima Konate, Joel Matip and Gomez. The best group of centre-backs at any club in the world?
Meanwhile, there was an interesting line regarding another potential contract extension in Neil Jones’ latest piece for GOAL.
According to Jones, Diogo Jota is in line for a “significant pay rise,” after two excellent seasons since his arrival from Wolves.
It’s also claimed that Naby Keita is set to receive a new contract offer in the coming weeks, with the club keen to avoid him entering the final year of his existing deal.
3 things today: Boris, Boris, Boris, but also…
- Neco Williams is now on the verge of becoming a Nottingham Forest player, after Liverpool agreed to a deal worth £17m. More excellent business from Julian Ward.
- Tyler Morton is said to be among the Liverpool youngsters in line for a loan deal this summer, with Sepp van den Berg, Rhys Williams and Leighton Clarkson also set for temporary moves.
- Jurgen Klopp will be pleased to hear that Boris Johnson has resigned, having suggested he “had no common sense” last year. Go ‘ed Jurgen.
Latest Liverpool FC news
- A prominent English journalist has claimed that, ahead of Raheem Sterling’s switch to Chelsea, Liverpool held an interest in re-signing him this summer.
- Pep Lijnders has revealed that dressing room secrets will be shared in a new book to be released next month.
- Fabio Carvalho is already wowing his team-mates in Liverpool training, with one defender claiming the Reds’ first summer signing “is of a high, high standard.”
Latest transfer chat
- Manchester United are now willing to listen to offers for Cristiano Ronaldo, according to Sky Sports. Those Chelsea rumours aren’t going away.
- Chelsea‘s move to sign Sterling seems to be nearing completion, with personal terms sorted and a £45m transfer fee set to be agreed.
- Tottenham are on the verge of wrapping up a deal to sign Barcelona centre-back Clement Lenglet on loan.
Tweet of the day and match of the night
It really is about damn time.
It's About Damn Time. pic.twitter.com/LqGfiiW0qe
— PoliticsJOE (@PoliticsJOE_UK) July 7, 2022
After England opened the tournament with victory over Austria on Wednesday, the Women’s Euros continue with Norway taking on Northern Ireland at St Mary’s.