While Liverpool return to pre-season and see changes made to their Premier League fixtures, the heat is still, rightly, on Gerald Darmanin for his lies following the Champions League final.
Darmanin called out for his “bulls***”
More than five weeks after the events at the Champions League final, Liverpool have yet to receive an official apology, namely, for the blame the officials looked to lay at the feet of supporters.
A report from the French senate into the chaos that ensued is expected on July 13 but in the interim, the interior minister Gerald Darmanin has seen his version of events aptly described as ‘lies’ and “bulls***.”
The words have come from one of the two men in charge of the ongoing inquiry, Francois-Noel Buffet, who slammed the version of events initially peddled by Darmanin, including the 30,000-plus fake tickets and Liverpool fans being at fault.
“The major problem comes from the Minister of the Interior, who lied. Following the events, he told bullshit,” Buffet said, via L’Équipe.
“He had also said that it was the fault of the English, who had made a mess. It’s not true, actually. The English were not responsible, they have nothing to do with it.”
It came before Darmanin again fronted the cameras with a change of tune, turning his attention to the “delinquency” and the lack of organisation, but still without formal and direct apology to Liverpool and Real Madrid.
“If there is one regret [I have], it is the fact of not having fought enough on delinquency, that I have indeed recognised [since],” he told BFMTV and RMC.
The pressure and scrutiny will remain and the words of Buffet do provide some hope that the inquiry will be damning of the lies peddled by Darmanin and co.
3 things today: Loans, friendlies and transfer hints?
- Neco Williams trained away from Liverpool despite being named in the 19-man squad for the first day, a hint at a looming transfer?
- Liverpool’s under-21s have added another valuable friendly to their summer schedule, with Wigan and Kidderminster Harriers both offering senior opposition for the young Reds.
- Vitezslav Jaros is the seventh youngster to secure a loan move for the upcoming season, with the highly-rated goalkeeper landing at League Two’s Stockport.
Reds back for pre-season!
- Jurgen Klopp is BACK and he turned to some exciting talent from the academy for the second day of pre-season, with at least nine spotted!
- James Milner is ready to get stuck into his 21st pre-season as a senior professional, four of his teammates were not even born then! Incredible.
- And if you want a full lowdown of the 26-man sqaud training on Tuesday, we have you covered! It’s exciting to see the players filtering back in.
Latest Liverpool FC news
- Liverpool have seen FIVE fixtures selected for TV to start the season, including the Merseyside derby and the trip to Old Trafford – some early and late starts here!
- How is this for a mad story, Albert Riera, former Liverpool player, was forced out of his first press conference as Olimpija Ljubljana manager by the club’s ultras. Not the best of starts!
- Divock Origi has finally seen his move to AC Milan confirmed, the worst kept transfer secret of the summer – but we wish him all the best!
Latest Transfer Talk
- Cristiano Ronaldo is trying to jump ship from Man United and he’s said to be ‘upset’ over the 25% pay deduction after missing out on the Champions League, that’s what mediocrity gets you…
- Tottenham‘s new forward Richarlison has received a one match suspension and fined £25,000 after throwing a flare into the crowd while celebrating with Everton.
- Elsewhere in Europe, PSG have sacked Mauricio Pochettino and have already replaced him with Christophe Galtier, will we see Poch back in the Premier League?
Tweet of the day and
match watch of the night
The hugs, the smile – he’s back. Jurgen Klopp is in the building, he’s looking tanned and fresh!
Good afternoon, boss ??#LFCPreSeason pic.twitter.com/pCciC0AEhG
— Liverpool FC (@LFC) July 5, 2022
If you’ve not caught up on the end of Stranger Things I’d highly recommend you do so with few offerings of football tonight.