PORTO, PORTUGAL - Tuesday, September 28, 2021: Liverpool's James Balagizi during the UEFA Youth League Group B Matchday 2 game between FC Porto Under-19's and Liverpool FC Under-19's at the Vila Nova de Gaia Stadium. (Pic by David Rawcliffe/Propaganda)

Liverpool confirm 5th loan of the summer as talented midfielder leaves

Liverpool have confirmed their fifth loan move of the summer transfer window so far, with midfielder James Balagizi signing a new contract before departing.

Balagizi is among the most talented players in the Reds’ academy, but last season saw injuries blight his first-team opportunities – including a spot in the pre-season squad.

The 18-year-old was a regular in the under-23s side, though, and was named on the substitutes’ bench for the senior side in both the 3-0 win over Norwich in the League Cup and the 4-1 victory over Shrewsbury in the FA Cup.

Now, the decision has been made to send him out on loan, with Balagizi joining League Two side Crawley Town on a season-long deal.

He has also signed a new contract at Liverpool, with there high hopes within the club that he can eventually make the step up to the first team.

Crawley finished 12th in last season’s League Two, and manager Kevin Betsy has looked to strengthen his squad for a renewed push for promotion, linking up with Balagizi again after coaching him in the England youth setup.

“He is an extremely talented young man who I have known for a very long time,” Betsy told Crawley’s official website.

“He is highly thought of at Liverpool, so for them to send him to us and trust us with a real asset of theirs speaks volumes for the football club.

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - Wednesday, November 3, 2021: Liverpool's James Balagizi (C) during the UEFA Youth League Group B Matchday 4 game between Liverpool FC Under19's and Club Atlético de Madrid Under-19's at the Liverpool Academy. (Pic by David Rawcliffe/Propaganda)

“James can be a box-to-box to midfielder with great athleticism and speed. He can also play a real defensive role at times, as he is really astute in his positioning.

“A real class act who I believe will show his quality once he gets on the pitch for us.

“This really is a fantastic signing for us as he already has a great pedigree and has played for his national side at such a young age.”

Balagizi is the fifth Liverpool player to head out on loan so far this summer, joining Conor Bradley (Bolton), Jakub Ojrzynski (Radomiak Radom), Billy Koumetio (Austria Wien) and Adam Lewis (Newport County).

He is unlikely to be the last, either, with Owen Beck, Sepp van den Berg, Rhys Williams, Leighton Clarkson, Jake Cain, Paul Glatzel, Vitezslav Jaros, Tom Clayton, Anderson Arroyo and Mateusz Musialowski potentially to follow.

Good luck, Bala!

More from This Is Anfield

Fan Comments

Logo

Looks like your ad blocker is on.

×

We rely on ads to create independent Liverpool FC content for fans like you to enjoy for free.

Please support This Is Anfield by disabling your ad blocker.

Continue without supporting us

Choose your Ad Blocker

  • Adblock Plus
  • Adblock
  • Adguard
  • Ad Remover
  • Brave
  • Ghostery
  • uBlock Origin
  • uBlock
  • UltraBlock
  • Other
  1. In the extension bar, click the AdBlock Plus icon
  2. Click the large blue toggle for this website
  3. Click refresh
  1. In the extension bar, click the AdBlock icon
  2. Under "Pause on this site" click "Always"
  1. In the extension bar, click on the Adguard icon
  2. Click on the large green toggle for this website
  1. In the extension bar, click on the Ad Remover icon
  2. Click "Disable on This Website"
  1. In the extension bar, click on the orange lion icon
  2. Click the toggle on the top right, shifting from "Up" to "Down"
  1. In the extension bar, click on the Ghostery icon
  2. Click the "Anti-Tracking" shield so it says "Off"
  3. Click the "Ad-Blocking" stop sign so it says "Off"
  4. Refresh the page
  1. In the extension bar, click on the uBlock Origin icon
  2. Click on the big, blue power button
  3. Refresh the page
  1. In the extension bar, click on the uBlock icon
  2. Click on the big, blue power button
  3. Refresh the page
  1. In the extension bar, click on the UltraBlock icon
  2. Check the "Disable UltraBlock" checkbox
  1. Please disable your Ad Blocker

If the prompt is still appearing, please disable any tools or services you are using that block internet ads (e.g. DNS Servers).