As the fallout from Liverpool’s game vs. Tottenham continues, there is plenty in your daily round-up of Liverpool FC news.
Jones’ red card appealed
At the moment, he faces a three-match ban for what was a harsh decision, but probably correct according to the current laws of the game.
Liverpool are appealing, though, and will likely focus on how the red card was awarded.
It seems this is the reason for Liverpool appealing Curtis Jones' red card.
As I said, the still image biased the referee's decision-making process.
— Matt Ladson (@mattladson) October 2, 2023
Instead of seeing full replays of the incident, referee Simon Hooper, who had originally shown yellow, saw just a still image of the tackle.
This isn’t something that should happen in accordance with VAR guidelines. If the club are unsuccessful, Jones’ ban could be extended if the appeal is deemed frivolous.
3 things today
- This Is Anfield understands Liverpool have formally requested the audio from Luis Diaz‘s offside to be released. ESPN’s Dale Johnson says it will be made available
- The Reds have received an automatic fine from the FA, after seven yellow cards and two reds were shown in Saturday’s match – this is routine but still won’t go down well
- Dutch journalist Rik Elfrin reports that Cody Gakpo “is expected to be out for several weeks” – let’s hope Darwin Nunez‘s knee holds up in the meantime
Mini loan watch
- Sepp van den Berg scored an own goal for Mainz as they lost 3-0 to Xabi Alonso’s Bayer Leverkusen
- Nat Phillips returned from injury, coming on to help Celtic to a dramatic late win over Motherwell
- Adam Lewis went off injured for Newport in their 2-1 loss vs. Salford City – we await news on the severity
- Fabio Carvalho played just four minutes for RB Leipzig as they drew 2-2 against Bayern Munich
- Tyler Morton played another 90 minutes as his Hull team drew 1-1 with Plymouth
- For a full round-up of how Liverpool’s loanees got on over the weekend, click here
More on Liverpool
- Liverpool produced the shock of the weekend, beating Arsenal 1-0 in front of a record WSL crowd at the Emirates – match report is here
- In case you missed it, two goals from Lewis Koumas gave Liverpool U21s a 4-2 victory at Crystal Palace – two 16-year-olds started at centre-back
- Union SG beat the Belgian Pro League strugglers, Charleroi, 3-1 at the weekend – this means they are now top heading into Thursday’s match vs. Liverpool
Video of the day and match of the night
Make sure to watch this week’s bumper edition of Live at 5, in which Gareth Roberts and Paul Cope go over Saturday’s game and the fallout since.
Chelsea are looking to score their first league goal since August as they make the short trip to Craven Cottage for a London derby.
The match is being broadcast live on Sky Sports Premier League, with kick-off at 8pm (BST).