According to The Telegraph, Liverpool are reluctant to confirm any progress in their bid to sign Sevilla left-back Alberto Moreno out of fear he will be snapped up by another club, such as what happened with midfielder Willian last summer.
Reports in Spain have suggested the Reds have been on the verge of completing a £16 million deal for the Spanish defender for the last week, and whilst The Telegraph‘s Luke Edwards says the interest is true, the clubs are yet to agree a fee.
Sevilla are seeking more than £16million up front, as well as a series of additional clauses that, if activated, would raise the overall cost considerably. Liverpool are hoping the player’s desire to move will eventually bring an end to the stalemate, but are braced for protracted negotiations.
Edwards cites Liverpool’s failed attempt to sign attacker Willian last summer as a reason for staying in the dark with Moreno.
The Brazilian was heavily linked with a move to Liverpool, before undergoing a medical at Tottenham, only to sign for Chelsea.
Meanwhile, the Daily Mirror‘s David Maddock says the deal between Liverpool and Sevilla has stalled and Brendan Rodgers is considering his options elsewhere.
Rodgers has become increasingly annoyed by apparent attempts to create an auction by Sevilla, who have tried to flog the player to a number of clubs, including Spurs.
Simon Jones of the Daily Mail concurs and also reveals that youngster Suso could be set to join Porto, a story we reported in more detail on Monday. Jones writes:
Liverpool midfielder Suso, who was initially proposed as part of the deal for Moreno, may now move to Portuguese side Porto, who have expressed an interest.
The 20-year-old has one year left on contract and Porto are keen to secure a quick deal.
Liverpool have already signed two players this summer in Southampton‘s Rickie Lambert and Bayer Leverkusen’s Emre Can. Can will officially become a Reds player when paperwork goes through on July 1st.
Catch up with all the latest Liverpool transfer rumours in our Rumour Mill.