With Liverpool pursuing former Borussia Dortmund manager Jurgen Klopp to take over at Anfield, Press Association Sport looks at how other Germans have fared at the club.
(1997-1999, 76 matches, 15 goals. Honours: 0)
Signed as experienced support for Robbie Fowler, he was relegated to a back-up option by the emergence of Michael Owen.
Provided central midfield defensive cover for a young tyro named Steven Gerrard. Was one of the best in the business in that role.
Played in 60 of 63 games in the treble-winning year of 2001 and his qualities were under-rated. Would have enjoyed longer success had he not been struck down by the debilitating Guillan-Barre syndrome.
(2000-2001, 32 matches, 2 goals. Honours: League Cup)
Controversy accompanied his signing from Middlesbrough – for which Liverpool were fined for an illegal approach – but it was a short-lived move lasting just one season.
(2012 – to date, matches 2)
Prolific at youth team level for Bayer Leverkusen the Germany Under-21 international’s career has not taken off at Liverpool due to two cruciate knee ligament injuries.
Currently out on loan with Swiss side Luzern.
(2014 – to date, matches 51, goals 1)
Signed as a midfielder, played mainly in defence by Brendan Rodgers the Germany international has yet to settle in one position. Best form has been as a third centre-back.
Jurgen Klopp to Liverpool:
- Rounding up the latest news on Jurgen Klopp to Liverpool
- Jurgen Klopp: Profiling the German set to be appointed new Liverpool manager
- 10 reasons Liverpool fans would love Jurgen Klopp as manager
- Exclusive: Third time lucky for Fenway with Klopp set for the Kop
- Exclusive: Jurgen Klopp sounds out Didi Hamann over Liverpool job
- Video: Jurgen Klopp in 10 great quotes
- Klopp’s imminent Liverpool move gets the thumbs up from Gundogan and co.
- Jurgen Klopp to Liverpool link welcomed by former players
- Jamie Carragher urges Liverpool to appoint Jurgen Klopp